Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano or Sorrento??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-or-sorrento-278059/)

Cheryl Dec 6th, 2002 03:22 PM

Positano or Sorrento???

We are planning our honeymoon and have been lucky enough to go to Sorrento in May on hotel rewards, (staying at the Hilton Sorrento Palace). With all the hype about Positano, I was considering staying there for two or three nights.<BR><BR>How do the two compare? Is there anyone out there that has been to Positano and wasn't thrilled? Is Positano a must stay? I am also torn between certain hotels in Positano.<BR>Buca di Bacco, Villa Franca, Covo Dei Saraceni, L'Ancora, &amp; Hotel Miramare. My fiance' is 6 foot 4 so I am looking for a hotel with rooms that are not so cramped, as I understand most hotels in Positano are.<BR><BR>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR><BR>

Ian Dec 6th, 2002 04:32 PM

Cheryl<BR><BR>Since you already have a freebie in Sorrento, it would certainly be worth a change &amp; see the southern Amalfi coast (the better one - imho).<BR><BR>Search Positano, Amalfi &amp; Ravello. They are all unique &amp; must sees &amp; easy to visit via Sita buses and/or boat.<BR><BR>And then there's Capri . . .<BR><BR>We stayed in Conca dei Marini (near Amalfi) @ Hotel Belvedere &amp; loved it. The rooms would be suitable for your fiance.<BR><BR>Check Fodor's listings for opinions.<BR><BR>Ian

Patrick Dec 6th, 2002 04:36 PM

Although Positano is certainly more dramatic and prettier than Sorrento, I've stayed in both and overall enjoy Sorrento more.<BR>I'd suggest if you want a break, then go to Capri for two nights -- just don't go there on a day trip. It is one of the most romantic places in the world at night -- perfect for your honeymoon.

Gail Dec 6th, 2002 05:46 PM

In September, I stayed in Sorrento, Capri and Ravello (Amalfi Coast). All were different. For beauty, Capri, by far wins out. I walked both sides of the island and found the scenery breathtaking. We stayed at the Hotel Cesar Augustus. Highly recommend the hotel, had a large room and bathroom and had one of the best lunches of my whole trip there.<BR><BR>Ravello, would be my second choice. Its a small town with an inviting square. I stayed at the Palasso Sasso (sp?). Very luxurious in feel, rooms were a smaller, especially the bathroom. However, did not detract from my stay. <BR><BR>Sorrento, is good for shopping, did not find it as pretty and was much busier with tourists. I did explore the town as much as I would have liked to. <BR><BR>I don't think you will go wrong if you choose one town over the other. But if I had to give an edge, it would be Capri.

richard j vicek Dec 6th, 2002 06:38 PM

Good evening, Cheryl.<BR>Would take Capri over Sorrento or<BR>the Amalfi coast. View and ambience<BR>is close to perfect. Secondly would<BR>take Sorrento over Amalfi due to the<BR>view of the Bay of Naples, Naples and<BR>Vesuvius, both day and night. Positano<BR>you have the sea, see see see..<BR>Richafd of LaGrange Park, Il..

Myer Dec 7th, 2002 03:25 AM

We really like Sorrento. Cute town. Great jumpoff to other locations.<BR><BR>While Positano is a must visit, it really doesn't have much. Not even a town square. The views are dramatic.<BR><BR>I'd stop for the day.<BR><BR>Amalfi and then up to Ravello is probably more interesting.<BR><BR>There was a thread several months ago where some posters risked life and limb by saying the same thing about Positano.<BR><BR>Someone responded that the russle of curtains in there hotel room was worth the stay.<BR><BR>Try to find that thread if it's still around.<BR><BR>There is also one about Capri (great island for a visit with spectacular views) trashing the Blue Grotto (I agree).<BR>

Brian Dec 28th, 2002 08:37 AM

Sorrento is gorgeous with a great view of the Gulf of Naples and just across from Capri. I agree that you should at least take a day trip by boat to walk the island and shop in Capri Town. <BR><BR>No question about it, you must go to Positano for a least two days. We stayed at Villa Franca and loved it. One of the best views over the town. I would also recomend either the more upsacle La Sirenuse or II San Peido! Have dinner at Max and desert at Hotel Palazzo Murrat (outdoor cafe). <BR><BR>By all means take a day trip from Positono by bus to Revello. It has amazing gardens overlooking Amalfi!! <BR><BR>Have fun.