Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano or Praiano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-or-praiano-1661381/)

jfra5 Dec 14th, 2018 05:22 AM

Positano or Praiano

We will be traveling to the area in June of 2019. We have found some great Airbnbs. The one we like best is in Praiano, but we definitely want to spend some time in Positano. How difficult is travel between the two? Is there a good amount to explore in Praiano? We will not have a car and will be staying with our family of four (our girls are in junior high and high school), for 4 nights. Thanks for any tips on this, as well as any other tips on this area.

yorkshire Dec 14th, 2018 09:21 AM

Praiano is a tiny village, so no, not much to explore. Perhaps more reading (or google images) on the villages would help you. If Positano is the only day trip you wish to do, then I would choose the accommodation best liked in Praiano. It's just a bus ride away. If you wanted to do multiple day trips, then I would stay in Positano.

Jean Dec 14th, 2018 09:26 AM

Other than Positano, what are your other sightseeing plans?

Staying in Praiano would be more pleasant for me, but it's less convenient if you want to go to Capri, Pompeii/Herculaneum, etc. You only have 3 days in the area, and how much time you spend just getting around could be important. You can travel by bus or taxi between Praiano and Positano, but it would probably take at least 30 minutes each way. If you just want to relax and explore along the Amalfi Coast, this isn't much of an issue.

FWIW, I realize traveling as a family is different and everyone has different goals, but when we're in this area we spend very little time in/at the hotel. We're out and about all day, every day.

jfra5 Dec 14th, 2018 12:48 PM

Thanks for the information. We would most likely only be doing trips to Capri and Positano. Still not sure if we'd be better off having Positano as our base. But, good to know that we can do a ferry ride to places. Are car services an option?

Jean Dec 14th, 2018 04:32 PM

There is no ferry stop at Praiano. To get to Capri from Praiano, you'd have to first go to Positano.

There are car services available. It would be an expensive way to get around but might be worth it for one day of extensive exploring.

tuscanlifeedit Dec 14th, 2018 07:44 PM

Ferries are, IME, the best way to get around, unless you would encounter bad weather or rough seas. The bus is very slow, can be overcrowded, is known to be unreliable and at least for me, causes motion sickness. Positano is the choice if you plan to travel by ferry.

kja Dec 14th, 2018 11:29 PM

Have your ruled Amalfi out? From what you've said of your interests, it would seem a reasonable choice.

jfra5 Dec 15th, 2018 06:15 AM

Again, thank you for the responses. They have all been very helpful. I don't know much about Amalfi. Any insight?

Dayle Dec 16th, 2018 02:01 PM

I love Praiano have stayed there twice since I don't care for the "resorty" vibe of Positano. However, if you are going in June, and you do plan to make a trip to Capri or other places along the coast, I would highly recommend staying in a town with ferry service. During the summer season the SITA buses are a living nightmare. Ferries are the only way to go.

If you intend to do a "day trip" to Capri, be sure to have your hotel book your ticket on the earliest boat - in advance. If you don't do this, your day trip will become a very un-worthwhile half day trip. The route from Positano to Capri is very popular and the boats sell out.

kja Dec 16th, 2018 02:17 PM

Amalfi lacks the "resort-y" vibe of Positano and does have ferry service. If the OP isn't familiar with Amalfi, I would recommend consulting a decent guidebook.

bon_voyage Dec 16th, 2018 02:49 PM

Jfra5, I used Amalfi as my base for the Amalfi Coast and would do so again. Here’s a link to my trip report: https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/solo-in-italia-may-2015-sorrento-amalfi-paestum-naples-rome-1066671. I daytripped to Capri from Sorrento; impressions are included in post #1. Amalfi is in post #15 and photos at #27 (if you click on a photo, you’ll see a caption re where it was taken).