Reload this Page >

Positano or other town and Guide for Pompeii

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
OK OK I think we have most of my itinerary: I will work and take Italian classes last two weeks of September in Siena. Rented a lovely apartment and booked my classes.
Meet my husband in Naples the first week of October. Rented a nice apartment in Vomero.

Probably then we are looking at going to Positano? for two nights--or maybe another town instead. Need to find a place. Hike the Trail of Gods, spend a day in Capri. Head back to Naples. My husband flies home and I head down to Calabria.
Questions:
1. Recommendations for a knowledgeable guide for Pompeii (not looking to spend $750! which is the guide my friend used). I ask ALOT of questions. I am a research librarian (meaning nosey).
2. to walk the Trail of Gods, if we stay in Positano how do we get to Bomerano to start the hike? It seems there are no buses.
3.Anyone go to Calabria? It seems I must stay with my unknown relatives... they will not allow me to stay at a hotel. They said its "too dangerous". Anyway train or fly to Calabria from Naples?

Thank you!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by RubyTwins View Post
Hello
OK OK I think we have most of my itinerary: I will work and take Italian classes last two weeks of September in Siena. Rented a lovely apartment and booked my classes.
Meet my husband in Naples the first week of October. Rented a nice apartment in Vomero.

Probably then we are looking at going to Positano? for two nights--or maybe another town instead. Need to find a place. Hike the Trail of Gods, spend a day in Capri. Head back to Naples. My husband flies home and I head down to Calabria.
Questions:
1. Recommendations for a knowledgeable guide for Pompeii (not looking to spend $750! which is the guide my friend used). I ask ALOT of questions. I am a research librarian (meaning nosey).
2. to walk the Trail of Gods, if we stay in Positano how do we get to Bomerano to start the hike? It seems there are no buses.
3.Anyone go to Calabria? It seems I must stay with my unknown relatives... they will not allow me to stay at a hotel. They said its "too dangerous". Anyway train or fly to Calabria from Naples?

Thank you!!!
(1) Do you really need a human guide for Pompeii? We did years ago with an audio guide. They are available and smart phone apps also. Here are some thoughts:

https://mrandmrsromance.com/tour-guide-pompeii/

(2) Weíve been to Amalfi coast a couple of times, but we havenít walked Trail of Gods yet. Here are some ideas from someone who has:

https://positano-amalfi-coast.com/pa...-amalfi-coast/

Also this:

The Travelmar Shuttle from Amalfi to Agerola

From April to October, Travelmar ferry passengers can take the convenient shuttle from the center of Amalfi to Piazza Capasso in Agerola, just steps from the trailhead. The shuttle departs at 9:30 and 11 a.m. and at 4:30 and 6 p.m. to coincide with the arrival of the ferry from Salerno and Positano. You can take the shuttle from Amalfi to Agerola and follow the length of the trail. Once you arrive in Nocelle, take the stairs or bus down to Positano where you can pick up the ferry back to Sorrento or Salerno.

(3) Where in Calabria? Reggio Calabria? Normally Naples to Calabria is via car or rail.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 03:35 PM

If you are in Positano, itís tough but you can climb the steps to Nocelle and start the Trail of the Gods at the top.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Or, you can take the Sita bus that goes from Piazza dei Mulini up to Nocelle, and start walking from there. You can do an out and back, or check schedules very carefully for the Sita bus that stops in Bomerano. Return via Amalfi and the ferry, the reverse of the route suggested above.Either way, this is an all day proposition. With only two nights in Positano, you’ll have to choose between Capri and the Path of the Gods.

The human guides who wait at the gates of Pompei are all well trained and often have an academic background you’d envy. They like to gather a group of 8-10 before setting out, so use that as a price guide for negotiating a private tour with one of them. It’ll be well short of 750 euros.
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:08 AM

You may have already come across this but below is a copy of a post I made on another thread about hiking the Path of the Gods.

In 2014 when we did the hike, we were all in our early to late sixties. We were not avid hikers or walkers at all but we were in reasonable shape. We did buy some good boots that we dragged all over Italy in our suitcases and they worked very well for us. The way we did it (taxi to Bomerano, walk to Nocelle then bus back to Positano where we were staying) there is some up and down walking but not as much as we thought there might be. We just went slow and steady and had no trouble at all. It took us three hours to walk from Bomerano to Nocelle and we spent a lot of time just enjoying the incredible views.

Here is a link to our pictures from that day showing some of the up and down spots. Hopefully they can help you decide if you want to do it. We had a great day!

https://john183italy2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/416

Also, if you would like a more detailed description of our hike, I posted a day by day trip report for that trip. Go to post #103 (Positano - Day 13) in this link.

17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of this
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 05:37 PM

Do not miss seeing this sculpture in Naples, even if you are not into art. It is The Veiled Christ in Cappella Sansevero. It will absolutely amaze you!