Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano, Italy - what would you do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-italy-what-would-you-do-652021/)

aranda Oct 10th, 2006 08:26 AM

Positano, Italy - what would you do?

Advise requested for a one week stay in Positano, Italy. I will be leaving in two weeks. I am seeking advise from travelers who have been there/done that. I am not an experienced traveler.

Also, how 'safe' is Positano? I keep reading about travelers getting ripped off.

So far I am considering; Pompeii, Ravello, and I would like to take a boat ride but not sure where to.

I know a week is not a long time which is why I'm asking for ways to optimize the time.

I love to hike and purchased the Sunflower hiking book as suggested on this site. Has anyone actually hiked the area? Is it a good idea to hike alone, or hire a guide?

I have done research and read posts on this site, but I'm still not sure on what to do. I know there is a certain amount of "winging it" on any trip that is fun, but I would like some advise on what shouldn't be missed and what can.

I have learned and continue to learn much about traveling by reading the posts on this site.

Thanks for everything,

Aranda

GBC Oct 10th, 2006 09:39 AM

First, I think most people will agree that as destinations in Italy go, Positano is fairly safe but you must still be alert. If you are traveling to Positano through Naples, be careful there.

You are on the right track regarding exploration. Pompeii and Ravello are certainly worth a visit. Look into Sorrento.

The boat ride is easy as they stop right at Positano. You can do a boat day trip along the coast and another out to Capri. Also, south from Positano is a grotto that is popular. The grotto is just fair but if the weather is nice the boat trip to it is fun. Sorry, I can't advise about hiking.

Weadles Oct 10th, 2006 10:19 AM

Aranda,

I think as long as you're aware of your surroundings and don't leave your belongings unattended on the beach or elsewhere, you'll be fine in Positano.

For boat tours of the area, you can try Salvatore e Gennore down at the town dock. I don't know if they still operate in October, but if they do, it is well worth it.

For hikes in the immediate area, there is a footpath in back of the church in the main square of Montepertuso, a small mountain village about 15 min from Positano. There are several wonderful restaurants in Montepertuso, and you could lunch at one of those, and then presumably hike back down to Positano. I would ask about this at your hotel to see if anyone has more recent information. And definitely bring along shoes with solid traction!

Pompeii can be reached by taking a SITA bns to Sorrento, then the local train to Pompeii. The train takes about 30 minutes from Sorrento.

rickandpat Oct 10th, 2006 10:58 AM

The only hike we squeezed in from the Sunflower book was Ravello/Atrani (no. 3) and after much-needed refreshments in Piazza Umberto, Atrani to Amalfi (no. 2). The directions were good - miraculously, we didn't get lost - and we enjoyed the steep downhill hike. I'm anxious to use the book again, so let us know of any successful hikes.

Micheline Oct 10th, 2006 11:25 AM

Go to Montepertuso for lunch. There are a few restaurants there that send a car for you. It is better to go during the day as you get to enjoy the wonderful view. The receptionist at Villa Rosa made the reservations for us at La Tagliata. I know Cafe Positano also send a cab. If the boats are still running there is no problem getting to the islands and back. We went to Amalfi for about 6 euros then took the Sita bus back for 2 euros. We were so glad we did it that way. There were not many stops from Amalfi to Positano and it was a fun and beautiful experience. That bus also stops at the grotto mentioned above. We were there for only 3 nights but would have loved to stay for one week.

saps Oct 10th, 2006 11:59 AM

My wife and I spent a week in Positano last month...It was wonderful. Here is my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34871283

Definitely plan on some day trips. You can go to Amalfi by ferry or bus and then head up to Ravello. Pompeii is about an hour drive or if you take the bus and train it is longer. If the Capri ferry is running that may make a nice trip (although it was so crowded when we were there that we did not enjoy it very much).

Dining in the area is great. The recommendations for going up to Montepertuso for a meal are right on. Several restaurants will send a car to your hotel to pick you up (ask your hotel to make the reservation).

If they are still operating boat tours I second the recommendation for the Gennaro e Salvatore boat tour. The Amalfi Coast tour was a highlight of our trip.

We always felt safe in Positano.

Have a great trip!

aranda Oct 11th, 2006 07:08 AM

O.K. I think I'm ready to go.
Thanks GBC; Weadles; rickandpat, Micheline and Saps for your helpful information and encouragement regarding Positano.

Weather permitting I'll try to go on a variety of hikes and I'll be sure to post any new and interesting info.

The suggestions for boat rides and restaurants is appreciated also.

Happy trails to you all!
Aranda

lms2 Oct 11th, 2006 08:42 AM

My husband and I were in Positano in September 2004. The highlight of our trip was a day on the Island of Capri. The boats leave right from Positano and a funicular takes you up to Capri. From there, I highly recommend the bus up to Anacapri. Here you can walk over to the coast to the most spectacular views you can imagine. We couldn't believe how beautiful it was. If you are a serious hiker, bring your hiking boots and go even higher up to Mounte Solero and hike down. I loved travelling by boat on the Amalfi coast rather than the SITA bus. We took the SITA to the Emerald Grotto and became stranded on the highway. The next bus was full and the driver wouldn't let us on.

aranda Oct 13th, 2006 03:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up regarding buses Ims2. I'm going to try to avoid them as much as possible, I don't want to waste my precious time waiting for a bus or riding a crowded one. Hopefully weather will cooperate and I'm get to take boat rides.

I had many reasons for picking Positano, but hiking was certainly one of them.

Once again, thanks to all for sharing your traveling experiences.

Take care,
Aranda