Positano , Italy or Santorini, Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone that has been to both locations, tell me which is more beautiful and worth it. I can only do southern Italy or Greece. Thanks for your input.
Joanada

We love beautiful and unique destinations.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:43 PM

If you are someone who likes to "do something" then choose Positano. Santorini is a very picturesque island with good food, and luxury hotels - perfect for that lazy beach holiday. Positano is a perfect base to explore the Neapolitan riviera, Amalfi, Sorrento, Naples, and Capri are all at you disposal. The food superb, the shopping excellent, Hotel Sirenuse especially good!

If you haven't done Positano, do it now, leave Santorini for later.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM

m_kingdom's advice is excellent. My only concern is "what time of year?" I was in Santorini in October and it was wonderful. Crowds gone, weather golden. I think Positano would be chilly then. (I was there in May -- gorgeous). Both places are paradise. You won't go wrong with either. If Santorini is your choice, be sure to stay on the caldera (the side of the volcano) if you stay in Thira. Thira is terrible in summer, crowded and noisy, but in late fall it's wonderful. My guess is that it would be less expensive than Positano, but I'd check.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Positano, and indeed the whole of the Neapolitan Riviera is delightful in early to late spring - not so many tourists, cheaper rates, an overall more indulgent experience.

Santorini is marginally cheaper I suppose, it's beautiful too, but I would always favour Italy, the food, clothes, and the wine, but that's my personal preference. I'm sure you would not be disappointed with either!

How about fitting both into the year?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Hello:

Thank you for your input. I would love to do all, but limited time and money and we love to stay at the best hotels. We love Zermatt for hiking in Switzerland, so want to go there first then we have a choice of Greece or Southern Italy, we have not been to either. But want something very special and beautiful scenery. We will be going in mid Sept. going into start of October. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM

In mid-September Italy is fabulous, at its very best, you must go there!

If you would like to advise budget, and places or indeed would like advice on this and places to stay, please do not hesitate to ask for more information.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:41 PM

This is a really tough choice. I absolutely love both Santorini and Positano because I love clifftop retreat type places with small charming towns and great views. Actually, Oia on Santorini reminds me of Positano- pedestrian, lots of shops and restaurants and tourists, and some really beautiful hotels and views. I've always thought of it as the Positano of Greece, if that makes sense. Both are stunning, but I think Santorini is slightly more unique in terms of scenery. The wine dark sea, the black rocks of the caldera rising, and the sunsets are unlike anything I've seen before. It's just a bit more surreal and otherworldly in my opinion. However, Positano seems more classically European- it is much greener and more colorful, and of course you get all the great Italian fare/wines/music/ect. It really depends on what kind of experience you want. In terms of a beautiful spot to relax and soak up the med sun, you can't go wrong, and there are some really incredible small hotels in each place. Actually, this July for our honeymoon, we are doing both- Katikies on Santorini and Le Sirenuse in Positano. It may be our 10 year anniversary before we can afford another trip after that, but that's what honeymoons are for, right?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:28 AM
ira

t