Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano, Italy: Hotel Eden Roc, Villa Rosa, or Hotel Miramare? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-italy-hotel-eden-roc-villa-rosa-or-hotel-miramare-621408/)

aranda Jun 6th, 2006 01:59 PM

Positano, Italy: Hotel Eden Roc, Villa Rosa, or Hotel Miramare?

I would be most welcome for any information on the following hotels: Hotel Miramare, Hotel Eden Roc, or Villa Rosa. I am looking for a beautiful view in a beautiful hotel, quiet, and with good service.

Any additional suggestions/experiences would also be greatly appreicated.

This will be for a six night stay in October,

Thank you!!

DonnieD Jun 6th, 2006 02:35 PM

Hi aranda,

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Miramare in Sept 2004. The views are awesome, and Rosita is a very energetic hostess, who can provide personal assistance because the hotel is small (15 rooms). The staff was great for making dinner/boat rceommendations / reservations and also getting a taxi when we needed one.

The special rooms (9 and 10) are larger, have floor-to-ceiling glass but are relatively expensive ... the standard rooms are a bargain, especially if they are the ones with large terraces. Should inquire about terrace size if spending time on the terrace is a priority.

On the negative side .... the stairs fom the beach to the hotel can be challenging, if you aren't in "stair climbing" shape. If course, much of Positano require climbing steps.

If you have any more specific questions, you can email me or post on this thread. I've never stayed in the other hotels, so I can't compare them.

SusanMargaret Jun 6th, 2006 02:37 PM

We loved Villa Rosa. All rooms have a private terrace with spectacular view, AC, etc. Breakfast is served on your own terrace. Service was excellent and the hotel is located only about 6 or 7 minutes from the beach. Villa Rosa does not have a restaurant or a bar, though there is a fridge in each room. The other two hotels appear to be rather more expensive (Villa Rosa is E160 in high season, the others quote E240 and E275). I see Eden Roc has a pool, but that may not be open in October. I assume that Miramare and Eden Roc are also within an easy walk of the beach and the main downtown area, but that isn't too clear from their websites.

wonderbar8 Jun 6th, 2006 02:39 PM

I stayed in the Villa Rosa in the amazing town of Positano this past April, and having really enjoyed my experience there, would recommend it for your stay.

We traveled to Positano to get married and knowing this, the hotel gave us a very special room - Room 32 - that was large and gorgeous. The room was on a corner, and the terrace was as large as the room itself! This terrace was much larger than the other rooms (they looked nice too, though), and had a table and four chairs on the terrace, and beautiful potted flowers, and an amazing view of Positano and the Mediterranean Sea.

The room itself had a very high ceiling, likely 14 feet, and felt bright and airy. The white walls, green tile floor, painted headboard, enormous arched mirror and very large arched doorway to the terrace were just the beginning. There was an armoire and dresser, so we had plenty of space to unpack, and a desk and t.v. stand, and still lots of room to move around.

The bathroom was large enough and my only (small) disappointment is that there was no bathtub, just a shower.

The staff at the Villa Rosa were very friendly, and breakfast was served in our room on time.

Also, the location couldn't be beat. We were across the street from the Sirenuse, so the view is the same and slightly higher up. When it came time to walk around town, we were right on the main street and just a short distance down was a stairway that led to the delikatessen and the shops on your way to the beach.

For the couple of nights surrounding our wedding we opted for the more upscale Marincanto, and thoroughly enjoyed our time there, too. This hotel is just up the street from the Villa Rosa about 50 yards, and had a wonderful outdoor terrace, stairs leading directly to the beach below, a very nice hotel lobby and breakfast space, and very accommodating staff. We stayed in a Junior Suite Special and enjoyed a jacuzzi in its own room that opened to both our bathroom and the terrace! I could go on and on, but if you are exploring other options, I would highly encourage you to look into the Marincanto.

I wish I could go back to Positano in October - have a great time!

grandmere Jun 6th, 2006 04:59 PM

We also had a wonderful experience at the Villa Rosa; I cannot imagine a more spectacular view of both sea and mountains than we had from our private terrace.