Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano, Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-italy-709706/)

travelmom68 Jun 1st, 2007 09:14 AM

Positano, Italy

What is the scoop on Positano? I had read some mixed reviews of Positano not being a great place for kids, but there looks like there is a big beach in the center of it, and the kids would love that. (They're 7 & 8) Looking at some of the pictures of the town there are some hotels close to the shore and then ones that although are stunning, too high up for us. Are there lots of places to eat and how many days do you think we could stay there? I was thinking that could be our base for Amalfi, Naples, Pompeii, and Capri. What are your thoughts? Thanks

mikemo Jun 1st, 2007 09:23 AM

We 60-somethings much preferred Ravello in May.
M

Shar Jun 1st, 2007 09:24 AM

Just returned from 5 nights in Positano. Loved it, loved it, loved it. We stayed at the Poseidon Hotel which is up the road from the beach and main part of town but very walkable as we did it every day. Food was very good, some reasonable some expensive. Fun restaurant just up the street from the Poseidon is Ristroante da Vincenzo 172-178 Viale Pasitea. Ate at the hotel and down at the beach also. Positano is a great base for some side trips. We took a boat to Capri and Amalfi. We did take our car to Pompei, Pasteum (?) and drove from Naples to get to Positano. It was do ble but a long drive with kids. NOt sure if this is a "kids type" town but there is a beach. Naples - would never go again. We went to see the museum and glad we did but the rest of the city is dirty and loud - very dirty BUT great pizza!

bellini Jun 1st, 2007 09:29 AM

Positano would not suit kids of 7 & 8 IMHO. The beach is actually quite small and unsuitable for games, sand castle building, all the things kids love. Can't think of anywhere along the Amalfi coast that is kid-friendly. Sorry!

TravMimi Jun 1st, 2007 09:51 AM

All the kids I have traveled there with much prefer the other side. Sorrento is a great base and the kids like it. Lots more to do and see there.

TuckH Jun 1st, 2007 10:04 AM

>I was thinking that could be our base for Amalfi, Naples, Pompeii, and Capri. What are your thoughts?<

Make Sorrento your base and, for the kids, head out to the Sorrentine Peninsula - Massa Lubrense, Marina d Cantone, etc...

Weadles Jun 1st, 2007 10:53 AM

I agree w/the other posters. I adore Positano, but it is pretty much the honeymoon capital of the Amalfi Coast. Really meant for adults, kids not so much. In fact, although we love The Hotel Poseidon, we watched in horror one night a few years back as a staff member admonished the mom of a young family for letting her kids splash too much in the tiny pool!

Anyway, we've also stayed in Sorrento, and I think both my kids preferred that hands down. First of all, Sorrento is a flat city, so you don't have to climb a zillion stairs back and forth to town, and secondly, many of the hotels have fairly sizeable pools. I can only think of one or two in Positano that have a real pool to speak of.

And Sorrento has easy transportation connections to the places you want to see- it's 30 min by train to Pompeii, about 20 min or so by hydrofoil to Capri, and I can't remember how long to Naples, which is just across the water.

Lastly, the beach that you see in Positano looks large, but in fact is a strip of sand populated by mostly adult crowds in the summer months. Not the best choice for kids who want to play in the sand.

steviegene Jun 1st, 2007 10:59 AM

I would agree. Positano is really meant for romance more than for a family vacation. I would choose Sorrento, or even Amalfi.

sg_cin Jun 5th, 2007 07:01 PM

Anyone heard of or stayed at a place called Villagio Resort Nettuno?

There are so many rave reviews about this accomodation at www.hostelworld.com...I wonder if it's a bargain? You see, where I'm coming from, Euros cost me twice as much and I'm definitely budget-constrained. For 10 nights, I can only stretch my dollar up to EUR40/night while making sure it doesn't take me too much time to the trains and buses.

If this Villagio is as good as it sounds, I may just base myself there all the way while I'm at Naples/Almafi Coast, instead spending other nights at Brikette Hostel in Positano.

BTW, may I ask again who has the experience of staying at Brikette Hostel?

worldinabag Jun 5th, 2007 09:21 PM

Hi

Travelmom if you really want to stay in Positano (and why wouldn't you) pick a hotel with a decent swimming pool. While the kids amuse themselves you can chill out taking in the view with a Peroni beer.

SQ you've hijacked travelmom's post. Why not post one of your own. :) Yes I stayed at the Brikette Hostel in 2001. It's great. Clean and with spectacular views. Go for it.

ira Jun 6th, 2007 02:12 AM

Hi Mom,

>I was thinking that could be our base for Amalfi, Naples, Pompeii, and Capri. What are your thoughts?

I think that for what you want to do Sorrento would be a better base.

((I))

Weadles Jun 6th, 2007 04:33 AM

I agree with Ira.

sg_cin Jun 6th, 2007 05:15 AM

um. jus wanna apologise to travelmom68..didn't intend to crash into your post...jus dat u were askin abt Positano and ...erm...sorry 'bout dat.

worldinabag - i just did post my own thread as u have advised.. thank you.

travelmom68 Jun 11th, 2007 10:59 AM

(Oh don't worry, I don't mind.) I just reserved a place in Sorrento named Garden Villa Hotel. It seems lovely AND has a pool. It has gotten excellent reviews as far as I can find. Thank you all for your help!
Missy