Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano Hotels- Villa Rosa, Villa Franca (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-hotels-villa-rosa-villa-franca-606032/)

lajolla Apr 7th, 2006 03:24 PM

Positano Hotels- Villa Rosa, Villa Franca

We plan to end our 16 day trip to Sicily and Southern Italy with a 3 day stay in Positano. We would like to stay in nice place but do not want to spend a fortune! ($275 or less) Has anyone stayed at the Villa Rosa? How does it compare to Villa Franca (which is not available) OR Hotel Posa Posa? Or Bucca di Bacco? We will be giving up our car there. Thanks!

vawegs Apr 7th, 2006 07:28 PM

Hi lajolla,

I have not stayed at the hotels you've mentioned, but last May I stayed at Hotel Eden Roc in Positano. I had a lovely room with beautiful view of the sea. It is a short hike to the main shoppong area, but I did it twice. I'm not sure if they had a shuttle to take you there. The restaurant wasn't overly fancy, but the food was good. Many people raved about the fresh fish. They should have rooms within your price range.

http://www.edenrocpositano.com

sheri_lp Apr 9th, 2006 10:03 AM

I happened to get off the Sita bus and walk a few doors down to a really nice little hotel called the Royal Positano. I had a nice room, with balcony and ocean view for about 60 euro including breakfast! It was approaching off season when I was there so the pool was closed, but the terrace was perfect for cappucino and the restaurant had a wonderful menu. Check it out!

grandmere Apr 9th, 2006 11:52 AM

We stayed in Villa Rosa in May a few years ago, and we loved it. The room was light and airy, and the view of the sea and the mountains from our private terrace (where we were served breakfast) was spectacular. The staff was friendly, and the rooms were larger than those in most European hotels of a similar price.
I cannot compare it to any other hotel on the AC.

rbnwdln Apr 12th, 2006 10:03 AM

We loved Villa Rosa also. We'll go back in June.

justretired Apr 12th, 2006 10:16 AM

We stayed at the Villa Franca about 5 years ago, and loved it. It is a smallish hotel, set high above the town. The views are beautiful and the room sre large. There is a lovely rooftop pool. The staff was helpful and the food quite good. We recommend the hotel, and really loved being somewhat out of town, which can get congested and noisy.

JudyADenver Apr 12th, 2006 10:27 AM

We stayed next door to the Villa Rosa at Hotel California. That side of Positano is close to the top of the entrance to the pedestrian walk to the beach. However, there aren't as many restaurants. The street which is directly in front of Villa Rosa (the stairs climbing up and up to Villa Rosa are directly off the the street). That is a one way street and noisy at all the time. We had to sleep with our windows closed in June. Consider the Miramare. Go to www.tripadvisor.com and read the hundreds of 5 star comments. It would difficult to be displeased with that hotel. The 2 standard rooms are in the annex, one building from the main building. The rooms are actually larger than the superior and deluxe rooms in the main building but they do not have an in-room safe or terry bath robes. The bathroom tile in not as elaborate and the terraces are not as large. These two standard rooms are 200E and the superior rooms 240E (we had room 214 which had a huge terrace on the second floor. You can walk up the the main street to all of the restaurants.

cherylforeurope Apr 12th, 2006 10:38 AM

Judy - I was going to book the Villa Rosa too because of all the wonderful comments I've read...exactly how noisy is it and would some rooms be less noisy? We're going in June(2007) and I just expected to have the windows closed anyway with the airconditioning on (husband hates the heat).

cherylforeurope Apr 12th, 2006 10:41 AM

Oooops...sorry Judy, just realized you hadn't stayed at the Villa Rosa.

grandmere Apr 12th, 2006 12:26 PM

Cherylfe, noise was not an issue at all for us in May; perhaps June is different, but as you say, you'd probably have the windows closed anyway.

I'm just surprised at how much they're charging today; we were there right before Italy adopted the euro, and it cost us around $90 at the time--a true bargain. Our room looked just like the one on the website, as well as the view from our terrace. You've probably been to the site: wwww.villarosapositano.com

rbnwdln Apr 12th, 2006 12:48 PM

On our stay last June noise wasn't a problem at all. We closed the large doors to the terrace at night anyway because it was ungodly hot and the air-conditioning was heavenly. We felt that the price was right and we loved it. We sat on the balcony at all hours of the day and night and I honestly can't remember any problematic noise. The Miramare sounds wonderful but over our budget.

lajolla Apr 14th, 2006 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the info on hotels in Positano. We will probably stay at the Posa Posa unless the Villa Franca becomes available. Miramare also looks great! Thanks again and we will let you know how it is. We are going this June!

Scottstig May 3rd, 2006 04:08 PM

I highly recommend Palazzo Murat. It's considered a 4* although I loved the grounds ,service and food. In addition the location and views are wonderful! We really enjoyed our stay.