Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano Hotels (ones w/ pools? jacuzzis?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-hotels-ones-w-pools-jacuzzis-399687/)

pjmay Feb 15th, 2004 09:56 PM

Positano Hotels (ones w/ pools? jacuzzis?)

I came across the website of HOTEL MARINCANTO (thanks to fodorite kellbell!) and have become obsessed with staying here because of the rooms with a double jacuzzi right on the terrace. (about $410/night for a special suite like this.)

The one drawback to this hotel is that there is no pool, and I was really hoping for one.

I had been planning on booking at either VILLA FRANCA or HOTEL POSEIDON, both of which have pools, and have gotten great reviews on this site. I am wondering if either of these hotels have rooms with jacuzzis?

Basically I am willing to spend up to about $400/night, & want to know what the best room I can get in Positano is. I'd LOVE to have a terrace with a great view, a jacuzzi, and a pool. Not sure if I can get all that for $400, & i think if I have to sacrifice something, it'd be the pool, but wondering if anyone knows of a hotel where i can have it all for $400 or under??!!

thanks!

pjmay Feb 16th, 2004 09:10 AM

topping

ldaves Feb 24th, 2004 12:00 PM

i highly recommend sending an individual email to the hotels in positano that you like (such as sirenuse,etc) and ask for a "last minute special" to see whether they will give you a better rate than the one listed on their website. i had so much luck doing this, i was able to get 50euro off of our prices.
:)
good luck & have an amazing time.

Weadles Feb 24th, 2004 12:16 PM

Just thought you should know that in my humble opinion, the "pool" at the Poisedon is actually an oversized bathtub. I certainly wouldn't book into the hotel based on the pool. However, this very intimate hotel has some of the best food we ate while in Italy, a lovely sunning terrace, comfortable jr. suites, a very good spa, and exceptional staff. We love it there, but it's definitely not for everybody!

One hotel I've been following with great interest on the forum is the Albergo Miramare, which is supposed to have an amazing suite or two with huge picture windows overlooking the sea. Have you checked this one out?

Good luck, and have a great time!

Weadles Feb 24th, 2004 12:18 PM

Forget to add that if you must have a decent pool, Covo Dei Sarceni has recently been renovated. This hotel overlooks the town dock and beach, and you can check out previous posts for details on rooms, etc.

JaneS Feb 24th, 2004 12:30 PM

pjmay-
We stayed at L'Ancora which is, I believe lower on the coast than Villa Franca, on the other side of the "bay" from Poseidon, but higher up than Covo dei Sarceni.
http://www.htlancora.it/home-eng.htm

We had a junior suite which was a very spacious room with a large terrace overlooking the water. And, we also had our own jacuzzi. The hotel does not have a pool but it is a sister hotel to Covo dei Saranceni and you can use their pool and facilities.

We went in mid-May and believe we paid a little under 300E for the room. The hotel staff were very friendly, the rooms were nice and spacious. I wouldn't call it luxurious if that is what you're looking for but we certainly enjoyed our stay there.

JaneS

pjmay Feb 24th, 2004 12:43 PM

where was everyone when i posted this last week?!! Thank you for your replies today, we did decide to go with the Hotel Marincanto, we couldnt resist that jacuzzi! There arent all that many reviews of this hotel on here, so hopefully we will love it and I will give a report about it when we get back.

Now we're looking for a hotel in Sorrento with a pool for the 3 days we spend there, following Positano. Looking to spend under 250 Euro, but want pool and romantic, though it does not have to be luxurious...

Weadles Feb 24th, 2004 01:48 PM

We were all on vacation ( I hope) !

Anyway, we stayed in Sorrento last July at the Tramontano. Our rooms there were $250/night with view of the Bay of Naples, but I think pool view rooms were cheaper. This hotel was very well located, only a few minutes from the old town, and about ten minutes from the Piazza Tasso.

Others to look at:
Could check with Bellevue Syrene to see if their garden rooms price out under $250, but I doubt it.
Also:
Ambasciatori
Bristol
Tonnarella

which should all be a bit cheaper than Tramontano or Bellevue Syrene.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!