Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano Hotel Recommendation Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-hotel-recommendation-needed-558181/)

Doble_Vergasser Sep 13th, 2005 09:25 AM

Positano Hotel Recommendation Needed

My co-worker and his wife have added an overnight in Positano to their iitinerary.
(traveling without children, celebrating a significant anniversary). Early Ocotber (2005) travel.

If we are avoiding the super expensive and the dive hotels, then what might y'all recommmend?

Thanks

SusanMargaret Sep 13th, 2005 11:33 AM

We returned recently from a 5 night stay at Villa Rosa (highly recommended by Fodorites). In August it was 150 Euros a night. Each room has a terrace that overooks the ocean and has spectacular views. A light breakfast of coffee juice and croissants is served on your private terrace each morning. The hotel is across the street from La Sirenuese, which is, I understand the most expensive hotel in Positano. Staff were excellent and the hotel is about one third of the way up the hillside, so a 7 or 8 minute walk to the ocean. We really recommend this hotel - check out its website: www.villarosapositano.it

marty Sep 13th, 2005 11:58 AM

We stayed next door to the Villa Rosa at the Hotel California. About the same price, exact same view, and about 1/10 the steps to climb! Ask for a room with a balcony. Breakfast is served on a big terrace covered with grape vines that looks out over the town and water below.

OpusX Sep 13th, 2005 01:29 PM

Hotel Villa Franca is my favorite. Although not the cheapest it is not the most expensive either. The views of Positano from the hotel and pool deck are utterly amazing. I am having the chills just typing about it. Enjoy!

HowardR Sep 13th, 2005 01:33 PM

Cove di Saracini would be an excellent choice. It's right on the sea and offers a wonderful view of the famous Positano hillside.

tower Sep 13th, 2005 02:23 PM

Be sure to consider the Bucca di Bacco Hotel, at the bottom of the staircase leading to the beach. It's considered by the more snobbish as the "step sister" to the Sirenuse and the other 5-star lodgings high on the hill....but we were very impressed by this place..had a lovely room with broad balcony overlooking the sea..all the appointments were first class...at less than $200...and the service and care were superb.
Don't miss Ravello..enchanting place...and of course, a day trip to Capri by small boat leaving Positano early and coming back later in the afternoon.
SFT

swalter518 Sep 13th, 2005 03:40 PM

Another vote for Hotel (Albergo) California. We loved it. Search this forum for more reviews of it.

kenman Sep 13th, 2005 04:23 PM

We stayed at L'Ancora, which is right next to La Sireneuse at a fraction of the price. We opted for a room with a patio and hot tub that looked right down on the church dome (and La Sireneuse's pool). Very nice, and a relative bargain in pricey Posi.