Positano h'moon: Marincanto vs. Ancora vs. no view at Sirenuse

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we waited too long to make reservations for our September '03 Italy honeymoon! I have searched and the only reviews for the Hotel Marincanto are two years old--any more recent feedback from helpful Fodorites? If so, how would this compare to the less expensive rooms at Sirenuse? And to the suite at L'Ancora?<BR><BR>There's one room in our price range available at Le Sirenuse, 330E for a non-view, no terrace room. Would it be worth it to stay there? There's also a Suite for 900E, which is out of our price range. We would have splurged up to about 600E. San Pietro doesn't have pics of their rooms on their website; does anyone have experience with their Deluxe category?<BR><BR>Thanks so much!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:40 AM

DON'T stay anywhere on the Amalfi coast without a view. You will regret it. (I did it to save some $$ and really do regret it. It wasn't our honeymoon...which to me would be a double sure reason to make sure the experience is as perfect as possible!)
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:25 AM

Ditto on above commentary. IMO, a room with a view is a must for Positano --- really, that's one of the primary attractions of the place. I would never consider paying 330euros for a non-view room, even if it is at a high-end hotel like Le Sirenuse.<BR><BR>Have you checked the Trip Advisor for any opinions on hotels in Positano? I saw one review about San Pietro - apparently they stayed in one of the deluxe rooms there and were not pleased with it (www.tripadvisor.com). For a full list of other hotels on their site, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g194863-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania-Hotels.html<BR><BR>Here's other suggestions; you'll be able to find feedback on this forum on these places -<BR>- Villa Franca<BR>- Covo Dei Saraceni<BR>- Hotel Palazzo Murat<BR>- Albergo Miramare<BR>
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM

I stayed at Villa Franca last September and loved it. It was a very special place..... one that would be very adequate for a honeymoon. In fact, there were several honeymoon couples staying there. Almost every room had a balconey and a spectacular view. I noted that Rooms 34, 35, 36, and 37 in the main building were ones that I would request if I traveled there again. And the price was right....207 Euros per night. The rooms in the annex are also nice.... but then you are slightly away from the action. Given the range of possibilities, I would not consider staying in a room with no view. <BR><BR>
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks uhoh, Tess (one of my favorite books of all time, by the way) and Ricky. I will check out Trip Advisor; I looked at Villa Franca's website and the hotel looks lovely.<BR><BR>I think right now we're trying to decide between L'Ancora, Villa Franca, and the mysterious Marincanto (their website makes the place look beautiful but I'm wary of booking solely based on a website). We have decided we'd rather have a nice suite at a hotel that's not quite as nice as Sirenuse than the inside-view regular room at Sirenuse.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 02:13 PM

One error in Tess's post above. I agree that you should have view in Positano, but then she mentions the Palazzo Murat. That's where we stayed and it was a nice hotel with a pretty garden, but NONE of the rooms have views. I regret staying there, because all most people rave about in Positano is the spectacular view from their hotel room -- none of those great memories for me.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 03:17 PM

Did you check the Poseidon? It's a small family-run four-star hotel that offers junior suites with terraces and spectacular views. We really loved it there. Good luck!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Hi Jennieh,<BR><BR>I can't recommend the Miramare enough! I truly believe it has the BEST views in Positano. My husband and I went there in September 2001 for our honeymoon and it was amazing in every way. Get room 210, it has the best and most private views overlooking bothe the sea and the town below. Also has a really cool shower with a floor to ceiling glass wall overlooking the sea! Incredibly nice staff as well. Finally, in this month's issue of Travel and Leisure Magazine, the cover story is on the &quot;50 Most Romantic Hide Aways&quot; The Miramare is one of them! Here is the link to the article:<BR><BR>http://www.travelandleisure.com/invoke.cfm?ObjectID=8AD3A7CE-284B-11D7-82BF0002B3309983<BR><BR>Hope this helps and have a great honeymoon whereever you end up.<BR><BR>Linda<BR><BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Patrick,<BR>Thanks for the correction! DUH -- after ranting that a &quot;viewless&quot; room is a no-no, I inadvertenly included Palazzo Murat on my list. <BR><BR>I have one more place to toss out there --- a bed &amp; breakfast &quot;La Fenice&quot;. Big Caveat ~ this is a much more basic accommadation and nowhere as plush as San Pietro or Sirenuse. However I can assure you that the 'rooms' (really separate cabins) below the street level &amp; overlooking the cliffs afford grand views.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! More food for thought. I'll look into all of your suggestions.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:46 PM

We stayed at Sireneuse 2 years ago but had to change our room on the 3rd floor as the restaurant was just above us with tile floors and the stomping and chair dragging started before 6 AM. They did upgrade us to a suite. Everyone who says a view is important is right.<BR>Some friends of ours stayed at Le Agave and loved it. It is on the Villa Franca side and up the road a little. The view was great and the rooms big. Check it out!