Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano & Capri luxury hotel rec's (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-and-capri-luxury-hotel-recs-835306/)

janelle47 Apr 12th, 2010 08:10 AM

Positano & Capri luxury hotel rec's

My husband and I are traveling to positano and capri for a week. I'm choosing between the following hotels:
Positano:
Le Sireneuse - Standard room
Hotel Buca di Bacco - Superior room with terrace
*I've heard great things about both, but has anyone been to both and can compare?

Capri/Anacapri:
*Grand Hotel Quisisana
*Caesar Augustus

Any advice? Though we do enjoy nice accomodations, we don't necessarily need to stay at a well known hotel, so if there are any smaller new hotels that are lesser known, we're also open. Thank you.

bobthenavigator Apr 12th, 2010 10:12 AM

See your other post.
Buca di Bacco is on the beach with no view.

bobthenavigator Apr 12th, 2010 12:49 PM

Sorry, that was a different forum.
Look at Hotel Poseidon and Punta Regina.

SusanMargaret Apr 12th, 2010 01:59 PM

Check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews on these hotels. We have been to Positano twice and each time stayed across the road from Le Sirenuse (at Villa Rosa). It is in a fabulous location and has spectacular views. As noted above Buca di Bacco is on the beach. Without doubt Le Sirenuse would be my choice if funds permitted. However, I notice that you say you are looking at a standard room - you must have a room with a balcony or terrace and a view. If a standard room doesn't give you this, check of Hotel Ancora which is next door to Sirenuse. Friends stayed there and loved it.

mimipam Apr 12th, 2010 02:43 PM

A few years back we stayed at Mamela on Capri. Very nice. I believe there is a website. www.hotelmamela.com

appletea Apr 12th, 2010 03:31 PM

We stayed at La Minerva Capri for 5 nights and loved it. It was so peaceful and serene. The breakfast was amazing, sweet orange juice, pastries, proscuito, egg ordered as you please - we preferred the 3 min soft boiled egg. Check tripadvisor for reviews.

appletea Apr 12th, 2010 03:40 PM

Also, I know you didn't ask for restaurant recommendations, but we had one of the best meals in Italy in Positano at La Tagliata. We walked all the way there from Positano and it was simply amazing. Run by a family, the mom makes the pastas, the pop grills the meats and the son is the host, and all you can drink wine - an awesome value for an amazing meal.

janelle47 May 4th, 2010 08:33 AM

Thank you, everyone for your great recommendations! SusanMargaret, I think we will consider a room with a terrace at Le Sireneuse, so thank you for pointing that out.
Appletea, I looked at La Minerva on tripadvisor and it looks terrific!
A follow up question - if we were to split the week between Positano and Capri, how many nights would you spend in each (or does it make a difference)?

celeste60 May 4th, 2010 09:35 PM

Capri is very beautiful, but Positano is like a painting, one can never get tired of looking at the water on one side the homes on the hill, each painted a different color, beautiful flowers all around. Just amazing. I would spend more time in positano, make sure to visit Ravello, very close to positano, we had the most amazing dinner at a restaurant in Ravello.