Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Positano Advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/positano-advise-292767/)

rosita Feb 26th, 2003 12:45 PM

Positano Advise

Calling all Fodorites<BR><BR>My husband and I will be in Positano the middle of July. We have booked our flights into Naples and are planning to travel straight from the airport to Positano. We plan to spend 5 nights there and use it as a base to see the other towns, namely Amalfi, Ravello and Sorrento. We then plan to leave Positano and stay in Capri for 2 nights. I have read a lot on this site (like I normally do and love it) and there has been a lot of very good advise, but I would like you to please help me make decisions on (a)which hotel (b) should I try to include Ischia for 1 night (c) If Ischia is included which part of the Island would you suggest (d)how much a cab would cost us from Naples airport to Positano (e) are the many crossings from Positano to Capri during the day? The hotels that have availability for us are Albergo Miramare room no 210 (but only for 3 nights), Hotel Villa Rosa with sea view, Hotel Poseidon sea view. Could you advise me which one of these hotels have the best location. We love to be in the hub of things and also like a good quality hotel, but not necessary over the top. I know that the Villa Rosa is in a different price range, but it appears as if it is well situated. I do not think it has a swimming pool and would you say that a pool would be necessary? In CApri I have managed to get into the La Luna Hotel, what do you think of that choice? <BR><BR>I know I have posted a lot of questions, but your help and advise would help me make my decision. Any other input would be much appreciated.<BR><BR>Many thanks

JAFA Feb 26th, 2003 02:15 PM

Never been to Ischia, but would love to go next time! Stayed at the Covo dei Saraceni both times we were in Positano. It's at sea level, so you're close to the beach, and to the hydrofoil/ferry crossings to Capri. They run quite often. I believe we purchased our tickets the night before both times we went to Capri. Covo also has a lovely rooftop pool, but we only got to use it once each time we stayed there. Depends on your needs, if you like to swim, etc. Not sure what your price range is; it's fairly pricey, though not as pricey as Le Sirenuse. We rented car and drove from Rome, so can't help you with cab fare. I think I've covered some of your questions anyway. Good luck with your plans!<BR><BR>

rosita Feb 26th, 2003 02:32 PM

Jafa thank you for your imput. How far was your hotel from the main street, shops and restaurants? Did your hotel have a lift? Did your room have a sea view with a balcony?<BR><BR>

grandmere Feb 26th, 2003 05:06 PM

Loved the Villa Rosa; great location, beautiful views of sea and mountains, reasonably priced, but no pool, as you say. I was there in May, and it didn't matter. Don't know how important it might be to you.

Weadles Feb 26th, 2003 05:34 PM

Rosita,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Poseidon two years ago in a junior suite with sea view. I've posted many times about what a lovely stay we had there. It was exceptional in every way-- especially the food and views from the restaurant terrace! There is a small pool at the Poseidon, but most people only used it to cool off. As you know, Positano has a small beach in town, which during July can be quite crowded.<BR>Regarding your other questions, two years ago, our taxi fare from Naples to Positano ran about $120 US. We used the Gargiulos, a father and son team based in Sorrento, and I highly recommend them.<BR>Just so you know, there are plenty of hydrofoils to Capri from Positano, but sometimes they don't run because of rough water. This was the case on two of the days that we were in Positano.<BR>We are actually headed back that way this July, unless the world situation prevents it. We have booked the Luna in Capri on the advice of friends who really loved it. I was told to make sure that we asked for rooms with a sea view there since some of the rooms apparently face a small inner courtyard. Hope this helps! Have a wonderful, wonderful time. Make sure you visit Donna Rosa, an amazing restaurant located in Montpertuso (sp?), a mountain village just over Positano. It was heavenly!

Jim_Tardio Feb 26th, 2003 06:44 PM

I'd stay in Ischia instead of Capri and just take the ferry over &amp; back...it's less than an hour each way.<BR><BR>In Ischia, you'll want to stay in Ischia Ponte, which if approaching from the mainland is on the left side of the island...the side with the castle. The ferry will dock there.<BR><BR>A great hotel just across from the beach is the MareBlu.<BR><BR>I have some pictures of Ischia here:<BR>http://www.jimtardio.com/italy.html

Jim_Tardio Feb 26th, 2003 06:57 PM

I'd stay in Ischia instead of Capri and just take the ferry over &amp; back...it's less than an hour each way.<BR><BR>In Ischia, you'll want to stay in Ischia Ponte, which if approaching from the mainland is on the left side of the island...the side with the castle. The ferry will dock there.<BR><BR>A great hotel just across from the beach is the MareBlu.<BR><BR>I have some pictures of Ischia here:<BR>http://www.jimtardio.com/italy.html

Jim_Tardio Feb 26th, 2003 06:59 PM

And, if you should stay at the MareBlu on Ischia, ask for room 471. It has a great balcony with the perfect view. Cost is around $200.00 per night.

rosita Feb 27th, 2003 01:09 AM

Thank you for all your input. Weadles, could you tell me where the Poseiden is positoned in relation to the Villa Rosa. What would you suggest we do if we need to get to Capri and the hydrofoils are not running due to bad weather? Could you also tell me how far La Luna Hotel in Capri is away from the hub of things? Jim I am still considering Ischia and thanks for your advise.

Steve_James Feb 27th, 2003 01:29 AM

Hello Rosita,<BR><BR>If services are suspended from Positano, catch the bus to Sorrento and take the ferry to Capri from there.<BR><BR>The problem for ferries from Positano is not so much bad weather as shallowness of the water. Positano doesn't have a harbour - ferries just dock near the beach. It only takes a small swell to stop services landing.<BR><BR>Sorrento has a proper harbour, and services are unaffected by a small swell.<BR><BR>Steve

rosita Feb 27th, 2003 02:20 AM

thanks Steve for your help. Do you know how long it takes by bus from Positano to Sorrento?

Steve_James Feb 27th, 2003 02:34 AM

Normally 45 mins. - but can be longer in high season

rosita Feb 27th, 2003 05:24 AM

Hello all<BR><BR>It appears as if the La Luna Hotel (the room they are reserving for us) in Capri is not sea facing. Do you have any other suggestions.

Grinisa Feb 27th, 2003 05:30 AM

The Villa Brunella is my favorite hotel on Capri and all rooms have a sea view.

JoshP Feb 27th, 2003 10:09 AM

Jim, saw your photos.....very nice! I am heading to Ischia in July (see: Hotels in Ischia?), as well as other parts of Italy, and was wondering if you had any info on activities on the island? Any other memorable things, etc.? I think we will be staying in Sant Angelo at Park Hotel Miramare, are you familiar with the area/hotel? Thanks.

Jim_Tardio Feb 27th, 2003 01:47 PM

JoshP...my family is originally from Ischia Ponte. Although I've driven around the whole Island, I'm only really familiar with that area.<BR><BR>There's really not a whole lot to do or see on Ischia. It's got a fairly lively nightlife, and the beaches are great. It's laid back with a lot of charm, with only a fraction of the tourists that visit Capri.<BR><BR>It does have the mineral baths and that sort of thing.<BR><BR>Sorry, I'm not familiar with the hotel you mention.

JAFA Feb 27th, 2003 07:12 PM

Hi Rosita -<BR>So sorry I haven't responded sooner. Been having trouble getting into the website. Anyway, Covo is right on the beach, and right below (so a few flights down) from the main street, duomo, shops, and restaurants. A few of the restaurants are actually right there, very close to Covo: Chez Black, Buca de Baco, and one other restaurant (forgot the name), being the main ones right on the beach. But, they're also probably a bit pricier than some of the little restaurants you'd find when you climb up into the town. The hotel does have a lift, and our room had a gorgeous sea view with terrace. However, the smaller rooms are on lower levels, and terraces are MUCH smaller, and noise level is much higher, so if you stay there, you should consider requesting a junior suite. <BR><BR>Hope that helps.

kiki Feb 27th, 2003 07:27 PM

Hi Rosita,<BR><BR>Villa Rosa is very nice. You really don't need a pool b.c you will be sightseeing or can go down to the beach area. <BR><BR>On Capri, La Luna has a beautiful pool, so you can save your lounging for Capri!<BR><BR>Have you seen my write-up for the Amalfi Coast and Capri? I posted tons of info on restaurants and touring the area and lots of secret places - you can find it by putting in &quot;kiki&quot; intot he search box. <BR><BR>Hope this helps!<BR><BR>Karen

JoshP Feb 28th, 2003 08:31 AM

Jim, that quietness is what we're looking for...sounds good. Do you know of any hikes that are worth doing or particular parts of the island that should be seen? We just plan relaxing and seeing the island, but like to get out and hike or walk. Any restaurants you recommend? Thanks.

IgorVodov Feb 28th, 2003 08:41 AM

You could also stay in L'Ancora (In positano). It is sister hotel of Covo. It is right next to Le Sirenuse (so the noise is non-existent) and you are only a short stroll from the main beach area. All of the rooms in that hotel have terraces with sea view. The room that we stayed in was about 230 Euro in September of last year. I think it is cheaper than Covo.