Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Poseidon or Buca Di Bacco - NEED ADVISE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Kim

We are visiting Positano in just over two weeks. I was able to get accomodations at both of these 4-star gems. At Buca we are able to reserve a suite, at the Poseidon a double room. Poseidon has a fitness center and pool, Buca does not. Not sure which has a better location. Any advise offered will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:18 AM
David

Spent 4 nights at Poseidon last week and ate at Buca di Bacco twice--it was all good. <BR><BR>Pro's and con's to each...Positano as you may know is built on the sides of two very steep hills. Poseidon was great because it's halfway up one of the hills and every room has WONDERFUL views of the town. But, this meant that going out to dinner, shop, etc. meant walking down and back up the hill. It's lined with shops, so it's a pleasant walk, but you can't get anywhere without walking the hill. Staff was GREAT, pool was nice overlooking the same view but was a little cold. Fitness center was nice.<BR><BR>Buca di Bacco is at the very bottom of the hill in Positano--right on the beach and surrounded by stores and restaurants. From the standpoint, it's a better location. But,no views, no pool, no fitness center.<BR><BR>Make your pick--probably can't go wrong. But make sure you eat at Buca di Bacco, it was wonderful

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:21 AM
David

One other factor--will you have a car? You can drive right up to the Poseidon and they have a parking garage ($21/night)<BR><BR>Access to Buca di Bacco is only via sidewalk--I would guess they have porters that will carry your bags out to the street where you can park your car or get a cab--but it's a hike

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Kim

DAVID - THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND, KIND ADVISE!!!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:21 PM
amy

Kim,<BR><BR>I would be eager to hear your review on the Poseidon upon your return. I just booked the first 3 days of my honeymoon there for June.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Amy

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Wendy

Kim,<BR>We stayed at the Poseidon last year and it was one of our favorite hotels anywhere. You feel as if you've been invited to someone's private villa for your entire stay. The staff could not be more helpful in any way, and the views from the rooms are breathtaking. I haven't even gotten to the food yet, which was some of the best we ate during our whole vacation on the Amalfi Coast. We actually enjoyed the walk back and forth from town because we could escape the crowds when we felt like it. And that view... But I've already mentioned that! Have a great time.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:28 AM
ca

When in Postiano look into the Hotel Eden Roc. We had a great suite for about 300 Euro (rm.318)with huge balcony, fresh flowers etc...It is a family owned and operated place and the service was fantastic yet understated. And it's not that far up the hill so after a few glasses of wine at Chez Blacks you can still walk to the hotel.