Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Portugal trip ASAP Mother/Daghter (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/portugal-trip-asap-mother-daghter-1667482/)

BAHItaly May 25th, 2019 04:10 AM

Portugal trip ASAP Mother/Daghter

I need to quickly plan a trip for my 23 year old daughter and myself. Both active. We like gorgeous scenery and adventurous trip .
I assume flying into Lisbon. We have about 8 days.
Open to small group tours. I see Cool Tour Oporto has been mentioned.
Any recommendations for activities, accommodations and should we stay in another city/town. How would we travel to it?
What is price range for nice boutique accommodations?.
Many thanks.

KarenWoo May 25th, 2019 05:53 AM

When is your trip? have you read any guidebooks on Portugal?

I can only comment on Lisbon and Sintra. We spent 5 nights in Lisbon and that included a day trip to Sintra. I think you need at least 4 nights for Lisbon alone to see everything and experience the city, it's neighborhoods and miradouros. What do you like for sightseeing? We visited the Gulbenkian Museum, Coach Museum, Sao Jorge castle, wandered through the Alfama, Jeronimos Monastery, Discoveries Monument, and several small churches, in addition to wandering through the neighborhoods and stopping at some of the miradouros. Some people like to spend 1 or 2 nights in Sintra, instead of seeing it as a day trip. I think staying overnight in Sintra is preferable if you have the time. You can take a train from Lisbon to Sintra.

BAHItaly May 25th, 2019 06:18 AM

I have little time for research, another daughters wedding in 2 weeks .Planning this trip for a daughter who just graduated from college and will a have a new job soon.
Husband may go now.Ill take a look at Sintra. I found Memejs post helpful.I like quaint accommodations, if you any ideas on that.

KarenWoo May 25th, 2019 07:28 AM

You can click on my name to read my trip report about Lisbon and Sintra in April 2018. I give a lot of details about sightseeing, restaurants, etc. We really liked our hotel, but I wouldn't call it quaint.

KarenWoo May 25th, 2019 07:31 AM

Exactly how many nights do you have? We have not been to Porto, but I know a lot of people recommend the In Patio B&B. But it's small and might not have availability at this late date. I know a lot of people like Evora, Obidos, and Coimbra, either as day trips from Lisbon or to stay overnight.

vinonobile987 May 25th, 2019 11:05 AM

If you have eight days and want to see more, then rent a car. We had a wonderful driving trip done in 9 days (we drove from Spain and then back to Madrid, but you can rent a car in Portugal).

if you are planning to drive, I can post our itinerary for you.

What accommodations are you looking for? Hotels, B&Bs, apartments?

BAHItaly May 26th, 2019 05:26 AM

My husband has driven too, but prefers not this time. Might do day trips from Lisbon.
Need a relaxing trip.
We like smaller hotels, boutique like, but really need to be open since 3 weeks away.

BAHItaly May 26th, 2019 05:27 AM

Ill check that out.No easy task to start from scratch and travel agents busy on larger trips.
I need to work on airline reservations firstly.
Many thanks

BAHItaly May 27th, 2019 03:55 AM

Made flight reservations to Lisbon in 4 weeks! First 7 days my husband will be with us, then daughter an myself stay another 4.
He does not like the city driving but is fine to drive from small town to small town. We like hiking and amazing views.
Where is best place to rent a car, from whom and should we make reservations for that?
Is Algarve Area worth driving to the south? I see a converted farm that looks amazing there. Hubby is a cyclist. I can do easy biking.
Many thanks!