Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Portugal - Travel plans with 9 yo and 7 yo (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/portugal-travel-plans-with-9-yo-and-7-yo-1376726/)

wheretheroadtakesus Jun 6th, 2017 05:30 PM

Portugal - Travel plans with 9 yo and 7 yo

We're planning a trip to Portugal later this summer. We plan to rent a car when we leave Lisbon. Our plans so far include:

Lisbon - 3 days - Castelo Sao Jorge Se, Mosterio dos Jeronimos, Museu da Marinha, Oceanario, Belem, and walking around downtown Lisbon

Oboidos - arrival day and overnight

Tomar on the way to Porto - Castelo dos Templarios

Porto - 3 overnights - Day 1 - Livraria Lello, Torre dos Clerigos, Igreja Sao Fco
Day 2 - Douro River Cruise, Day 3 - trip to Guimaraes to see Castelo de Guimaraes,

Braga on the way to Viana do Castelo - Bom Jesus do Monte Cathedral

Coimbra on the way back to Lisbon - Museu dos pequenitos - next day Palacio de Pena, Quinta de
Regaileira

Does that seem like it would work with a 9 yo and 7 yo? Which would be not to miss? If this is too ambitious and we needed to cut something out what should it be?

Thank you

lobo_mau Jun 7th, 2017 01:49 AM

In Belem don't miss Museu dos Coches. It can be funny and educational for children.

lobo_mau Jun 7th, 2017 03:50 AM

In Lisbon ride the tram#28. If offers the views of old Lisbon with the feeling of an old fashioned roller coaster. Some advices: 1) take it in Martim Moniz, all the way to Prazeres and back 2) in the return path, not all trams end in Martin Moniz, some are short ended in Graça 3) take it after the sun falls with extra bonus of less crowds and city lights, check with the driver if it's not the last run 4) take care with pickpockets.
In Sintra,switch off the calories counter and visit Periquita (in fact there are 2 shops, some management, a few steps apart). Their sinful sweets are travesseiros and queijadas.

massimop Jun 7th, 2017 04:49 AM

You know your children best, but many of the ones I know that age want to just goof off sometimes, even on vacation, and you might want to hold ideas like day trips to Guimaraes or a stop in Braga as "maybe", depending on their mood of the moment. I also wouldn't put them through the rigours of Coimbra if it is blisteringly hot, or would maybe limit the itinerary there to the library (which has a timed entry).

I don't see many seaside visits on your itinerary, and some kids enjoy that. I might substitute some beach time instead of Coimbra.

wheretheroadtakesus Jun 7th, 2017 05:30 PM

Massimop - we were thinking of going to Coimbra to see Portugal dos Pequenitos. Is that worth the drive? We could skip Coimbra and go to the beach instead. Thoughts?

lobo_mau - thank you for the Museo dos Coches. That looks like something we would enjoy. And for the tips about Tram 28. I've added the bakery to our list as one can never have too many bakeries on vacation!!