Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portugal's Pousadas Golden Age Discount?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

My mother and I are planning a trip to Portugal for next Spring and she wants to stay in the Pousada in Obidos.

She is old enough for the Golden Age discount, but I am not yet. Does anyone know if she can book that rate with me as the other party? It's a little vague on thier webpage

I am sending them an email also, but....

Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM

When we stayed at the Obidos Pousada it was the only one that did not offer the Golden Age discount since it is a very popular place. We were able to get the Golden Age discount in the other pousadas. The Obidos Pousada is lovely with a wonderful dining room.
You can tell from the website which offers are extended at each pousada for specific dates.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Carol:

This past spring we drove a good portion of Portugal, stayed in a number of superb Pousadas on the Golden Age plan (40% discount)
In Obidos the Pousada did not accept it, but we had booked
the Estalagem do Convento for 100 €, with a sumptuous buffet bkfst. Your mom would probably have to be the one making the reservation. We were "carded" once, which made me very happy! Your proof of age is only necessary when you arrive.
You and mom will love this
veritable gem of a country...enjoy!

We stayed at Arraiolos, Marvao and Belmonte Pousadas...and at several other places that did not have a
pousada. By the way, the Estalagem in Obidos is exceptionally well located next to the town wall.

Remember, it's "O-bee-doosh"...

stu t. (here are my Portugal pix)
http://tiny.cc/0nZ6z

Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM

What Stu said---we did basically the same thing. I doubt if you will get the Obidos Pousada, but try the one in Marvao and Viana do Castelo.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks

I went ahead and booked the Obidos without the discount since it wasn't an option and the place appears to be tiny.

We are working on the rest of the plan right now!
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM

You will enjoy staying in this charming castle with views of the surrounding countryside. Parking by the hotel is a little tight but we always found a place.We have wonderful memories of our stay there. .
Other favorite Pousadas were in Evora and Guimares. We wished we had booked more nights in Evora; the Pousada was beautiful, had a nice pool, and we did receive a Golden Age Discount.
Your mother will also receive senior discounts to museums and historical sights in Portugal; some are free to seniors. Its a wonderful and and very friendly country.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!

We are going to Evora so I will look into this one!

Also, just in case anyone wants the "offical" response I received one from the Pousada website today. As long as one person is over 55 you qualify for the discount!

Now back to my planning.....