Portugal - Need Itinerary Help

Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal - Need Itinerary Help

Hi Fine Fodors People,

I'm planning a 14 (tourist days) trip to Portugal/Spain and ending in Madrid. 9 days in Portugal and 5 in Spain is my current plan. There is way more to do than I have time, so trying to strike a balance between experiencing many things but not rushing all the time. I am traveling solo.

I hope to experience beautiful building buildings, great food, great views Fado music, a mix of big city small towns coastal beauty (some swimming in the water...), a little adventure, and possibly some natural beauty if I can squeeze it in.

My itinerary right now is:
- 5 nights in Lisbon - side trip to Sintra (full day)
- 1 day/1 night in Evora - will rent car in Lisbon and keep throughout Algarve leg
- 3 days/3nights in Algarve - this is what I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
- Faro to Seville - will drop my rental car off at Faro and take the train to Seville
- 3 days/nights Seville - may take a side trip to Cordobab

QUESTIONS
- Should I stay overnight in Sintra - i have read there is a lot there.
- Is 1/2 a day, overnight stay, and 1/2 day enough for Evora
- Where should I stay in Algarve? Which town?
- Is 3 days/nights too much or too little in Algarve area?
- Seville - is it too much time here? Should i push it and try to get to Granada .

Thanks for any input on my trip.

Chris
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM

I can't help too much but I would stay overnight in Sintra. We loved it and only saw a fraction of it!
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Spent 2 weeks in Portugal, split roughly between Lisbon and Porto with 1/2 day stops in between.

I don't believe you need to stay O/N in Sintra. We loved it but a day trip is enough. Evora-definitely just 1/2 day. Did not head to Algarve.

Spent 3 weeks in Spain. Seville is great and maybe with the tightening of your Portugal segment can squeeze in Cordaba.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 12:29 AM

When are you travelling? Lagos or Albufeira (old town) are great locations at the beach in the Algarve but only in summer. My preference is Albufeira but it is a busy location, Lagos is more upmarket. There are some good seafood restaurants in both. There are some great trips from both to the Algarve countryside.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi stevelyon. I will be traveling mid sept. to end of sept. Literally last half of month. In algarve for a couple days (23rd and 24th). I'm trying to do to much maybe but want to explore at least a little out here.

Updated Latest Itinerary
- Days 1 -6 - Lisbon - 1 day trip to Sintra. Almost 4 fulls days lisbon and sintra day trip
- Day 6/7 - Evora - spend the night, will have car, explore town and around
- Day 7 - 9 - Ericeira - spend 2 nights, surfing, relaxing, maybe a hike
- Day 9 - 11 - Algarve - maybe Albufeira 2 nights -
-- I know this is a long drive from Ericeira but see no way around. Hope to take my time, stop in Sagres along the way.
- Day 11 - Day 14 - Sevilla - I will take the bus from Faro to Seville. 2 full days in Seville then train to Madrid - Madrid is getting no time cause I can't do it justice.
- Day 15 - fly home
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 05:50 PM

I wish we had stayed overnight in Sintra. We only allocated one day and by the time we got there and found parking and found our bearings half the day was gone. I would leave yourself 2 nights for Evora - the town is fun to wander in and that leaves you time to visit the megaliths outside of the town which were a highlight of our trip (easy drive). We also loved Arreilos as a side trip.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" by the time we got there and found parking and found our bearings half the day was gone"

If you take the train to Sintra and the bus up to the palace you won't have that problem.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 08:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't give up a night in Lisbon for Sintra.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 01:44 AM

Sintra is lovely. Take the train, stay overnight and walk, because it will take you some time to see the sights and trying to find a parking spot is a waste of hours.

Also think about staying at Cascais rather than in Lisbon itself. It's only 20mins from Lisbon by the light rail, out on the coast, and Estoril is en route, also interesting.

For something completely different, Nazare on the Atlantic coast or Guarda near the Spanish border, well out of the tourist way and distinctly Portugese in their own separate ways.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 02:03 AM

ps, Go to Senhor Vinho for Fada.
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 06:06 PM

We didn't make it to Guarda, but loved Obidos which is very near Nazarre and easy to use as abase for seeing the area.