Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Portugal Canceled (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/portugal-canceled-1683325/)

maitaitom Jul 17th, 2020 11:54 AM

Portugal Canceled

A sad day at the Casa de Mai Tai. We have officially canceled our trip to Portugal. Hotels have been notified. As Helena said on the other thread, "Portugal will be here next year." Hopefully, so will I.

HappyTrvlr Jul 17th, 2020 12:51 PM

Sorry you had to cancel but now you have a wonderful trip all planned to look forward to next year.. or the next. I will try to find the name of the wonderful pottery shop we went to. The owner was shipping a big box to Bloomingdale’s while we were there. It was located between Obidos and Alcobaça ,if I remember correctly, and they had beautiful pieces.

HelenaFatima Jul 17th, 2020 02:07 PM

Sorry to know, but there is no point on a vacation where you would be worried all the time. Today I went downtown to take care of some personal issues, and I saw some tourist there, looking very happy... no queues, no crowds... But I'm not sure about the restrictions they will find when returning home, 3 girls were difinetely British (I can tell because of the accent).

Anyway, Tom, hope you can still go somewhere this year, and next year we will still be here for sure. Meanwhile, if you need any kind of information, I'm at your disposal, as well as to all the other members of this forum. Stay well, stay healthy!

Helena

Melnq8 Jul 17th, 2020 03:30 PM

Bummer dude.

Our planned trip to Portugal last April/May was also cancelled. On the bright side, it's pretty much planned for next year and I suspect I can count on the lovely Helena to help us with fine tuning and restaurant recommendations!

sassy27 Jul 17th, 2020 03:42 PM

I haven’t pulled the plug on Barcelona for September yet but plan to do so. I only got so far as booking airfare back in 2019 but have been hesitant on anything else. I believe I can cancel at this point as the time leaving changed and I never accepted it. It makes me sad but what can we do except stay positive that things will start to get better soon.

maitaitom Jul 18th, 2020 09:15 AM

already rebooked three of our hotels for next year (:

Leely2 Jul 18th, 2020 10:14 AM

Sorry, maitai, but for the best this year.

I was supposed to fly to Bari tomorrow and fly home from Rome three weeks later. I study Italian and use annual solo trips there to shore up my speaking/conversation. Ah well. I am healthy and employed. I hope the same for the rest of our world--soon.

progol Jul 18th, 2020 12:27 PM

Sorry that you had to make this decision but glad to know you’re ready for next year! Are you doing the same trip or making any changes?

I’m still anticipating canceling our trip to France and Greece in the fall but am still waiting on the airline. We booked with La Compagnie, a small French airline with very limited flights, so they are very slow to cancel them. It’s more hurry up and wait, and my patience is wearing thin!

HelenaFatima Jul 18th, 2020 01:10 PM

People, please stay healthy! We need you visiting us, so besides this stupid virus, take care of all the other things (like high blood pressure, mine was a mess, now it is in very good shape, after all the efforts I've done, finally I quit coffee. Very good results, I must say). See you soon, or at least next year?

maitaitom Jul 18th, 2020 02:46 PM

"Sorry that you had to make this decision but glad to know you’re ready for next year! Are you doing the same trip or making any changes?"

progol - I added an extra night in Porto and will stay in
Guimarães for one night. We had to change Douro Valley to a week later because (amazingly) Quinta do Pego was booked at end of September. It means we'll have to rent a car twice on trip since we don't need it for 4 nights in Porto. Looks like it will cost each couple about 100 bucks more, but then again now we won't have to take train from Porto to Lisbon the last day, so it will be a wash. My hotels have been very nice to us (one giving me 2020 rate even though their 2021 rates are higher). Still bummed about this year. Also our hotel in London (we were going to London first) would not refund money (but will give us credit through December 2021). If this stupid virus can get in check, we might do a London/Paris trip in spring. Lots of uncertainty, but I always attempt to be optimistic. Good luck on your trip. Where next year?

progol Jul 19th, 2020 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom (Post 17131468)
"Sorry that you had to make this decision but glad to know you’re ready for next year! Are you doing the same trip or making any changes?"

progol - I added an extra night in Porto and will stay in
Guimarães for one night. We had to change Douro Valley to a week later because (amazingly) Quinta do Pego was booked at end of September. It means we'll have to rent a car twice on trip since we don't need it for 4 nights in Porto. Looks like it will cost each couple about 100 bucks more, but then again now we won't have to take train from Porto to Lisbon the last day, so it will be a wash. My hotels have been very nice to us (one giving me 2020 rate even though their 2021 rates are higher). Still bummed about this year. Also our hotel in London (we were going to London first) would not refund money (but will give us credit through December 2021). If this stupid virus can get in check, we might do a London/Paris trip in spring. Lots of uncertainty, but I always attempt to be optimistic. Good luck on your trip. Where next year?

Sounds terrific, Tom! It all sounds fantastic! How nice that the hotels are being so generous, too. And after all the savings this year, the extra $100 is nothing! And a London/Paris trip is a wonderful plan - we did that 2 years ago and loved it.

I’m still a little burned out after canceling 2 trips so far, with a third on the way, so can’t quite get into planning mode yet. Most likely, we will be going on the trip I planned for the fall to France and Greece as we also have a voucher for Aegean and will probably be getting a voucher from La Compagnie. My frustration is that the airline is still planning to fly in September so until that changes, we are still “scheduled” to go, so I’m not yet making any future plans!

Trophywife007 Jul 19th, 2020 02:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your trip won't be materializing this year... sad but not unexpected unfortunately. Wishing you and all of our favorite fab four good health and excellent travels for next year!

twk Jul 20th, 2020 07:01 AM

I feel for you. I was getting emails Friday about how my train from Avingon to CDG was running late while I'm sitting at the office. Didn't exactly pick me up.

tomarkot Jul 22nd, 2020 11:02 AM

T & T, like you guys, optimism has us thinking about rebooking our hotels in northern Italy. Seems like most things have worked for you regarding re-couping your plans. Like you, as we consider our 2021 itinerary, we're making a few tweaks. Time has its advantages! Give an extra pet to Frankie and Remi for us! And don't imbibe too many of Tracy's culinary delights. T & M

maitaitom Jul 22nd, 2020 11:44 AM

"Give an extra pet to Frankie and Remi for us! And don't imbibe too many of Tracy's culinary delights. T & M"

Thanks T&M. Remi had to spend two nights in the hospital last week. Probably cost 1/2 of our Portugal budget. She's out and doing well. They send their love and hope you guys get out here again. Tracy has been on a cooking roll lately, which not
coincidentally that's what my stomach is now looking like. (:

tomarkot Jul 22nd, 2020 03:51 PM

Glad Remi is doing well. At least you have a year to recoup the cost of her vet visit!

nasty01 Jul 25th, 2020 09:32 AM

Hello, I have been following your recent conversations and we Love Portugal! In early Nov. 2020, we are scheduled to cruise out of Barcelona; but, it is not looking promising at this time. I appreciate the up beat attitudes you all have and the fact you will travel in 2021. Stay well.

HappyTrvlr Aug 2nd, 2020 12:26 PM

Tom, we spent a couple of nights in Guimares and loved it there. So you are getting a bonus! The Minho region was our favourite area of Portugal.

maitaitom Aug 3rd, 2020 07:46 AM

Thanks HappyTrvlr!

Seamus Aug 3rd, 2020 03:49 PM

Friendly amendment: RESCHEDULED, not cancelled.