Portugal and Spain in August

Old May 30th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Portugal and Spain in August

My husband and I had a great time traveling in July in Croatia, Greece, Turkey, southern Italy. I love the Mediterranean for the food, civilization, historic sites, art, and pretty water. We are very active, not necessarily in terms of sports but we like walking around a lot and seeing cultural sites. Neither of us likes relaxing all that much and we get bored easily. We like cities for that reason. Husband does not like beaches at all but will put up with them for a few hours. I, on the other hand, must have a spectacular beach and prefer coastal regions to lakes.

We like choosing destinations which are very compressed (have a lot to see in a small space). We don't like driving and want to rely on public transit. We would go to Amalfi and Capri again but do not want to repeat at this point.

We would like to visit Portugal and Spain this summer. Again, for the civilization, historic sites, beaches. We are sort of maximalists on vacation and want to see a lot. Therefore, we have planned to do Lisbon, Algarve, Seville, Cordoba, Granada and possibly end there or Malaga. In a total of 9 days (cutting off Lisbon if necessary). I know, very tight, but we don't have a lot of time. And we have always traveled this way.

Are Seville/Cordoba/Granada really insufferably hot? Should we consider focusing on Portugal and not traveling into the interior of Spain? (Still, I kind of want to go for it, we have no vacation days and want to maximize) I have read a ton of posts and can't seem to figure it out. Have also looked at the weather reports, also can't decide. We did handle Croatia/Greece/Turkey/Italy at a similar time in previous years and it seems like the same general latitude.

We can only go on a very limited number of vacations and really want this to be awesome. What do people think?
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:56 PM

Yes, it will be rather warm in inland Andalusia during August with temperatures edging 40C on a daily basis. The only saving grace is that you will not have to worry about the humidity.
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

I found some additional information. Seville is indeed sweltering hot. I think we will still do this itinerary but spend as little time in Seville/Cordoba as possible.
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

The forecast daily for Granada seems a little better (higher 80s rather than mid 90s to 100). That seems reasonable to me... All the places we loved on our previous vacations (Greece, Turkey, etc in July) were all high 80s, and we had a fantastic time there... Any thoughts on how Granada compares to Seville/Cordoba? Maybe we will spend more time in Granada than the other two in that triangle.
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:58 PM

Weather is totally unpredictable. So do not worry about it. Weather history sites are just a waste of internet space when it comes to forecasts. Just go.
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:00 AM

It gets pretty hot here in the Algarve as well in August. But plenty of beach to go for a nice swim in the ocean
Old May 31st, 2017, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I know I am beating this to death but one question for those who have been to Greek isles/Turkey, Croatia, and southern Italy... is Andalusia worse in terms of heat in summer? I had such a great time on those previous vacations, it never occurred to me to think about the heat.
Old May 31st, 2017, 03:57 PM

Are you going by train or car - cars rented in one country and returned in another can result if very steep drop-off charges. for your wish list trains are great -mainly cities but cars are nice if you want to meander between target cities but if just those places consider the train- check these sources for help with trains -www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Yes Seville is hot but Malaga is a bit better being on sea - Portugal can be warm too -especially in south.
Old May 31st, 2017, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick response. That link is extremely helpful! Yes, we are planning to travel by train. I know there is none between Faro and Seville, so we will have to ride the bus.

I guess I don't tend to think about the heat much. We are not the kind of people who have a lake house in the summer. maybe it's not very exotic to us as we grew up around lakes in New England.

Most of our friends would prefer to go somewhere like Switzerland that time of year.