Search

Portugal: Alentejo region – hotels and restaurants please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal: Alentejo region – hotels and restaurants please

Hello there:

I am considering a weekend in the Alentejo region of Portugal, using Evora as a base. I am trying to decide between two hotels:

Hotel Pousada dos Loios
http://www.pousadasofportugal.com/portugal/evora.html

Hotel da Cartuxa
http://www.hoteldacartuxa.com/belver/

Has anyone had recent experience with either hotel?

Also, I would appreciate restaurant recommendations!

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards Ger
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Restaurant "A Maria" in Alandroal is mandatory (reserve in advance).
Try also "Adega do Isaias" in Estremoz, a beautiful low scale restaurant.
"A Maria" has the full payment schemes (debit and credit cards), while Isaias only accepts hard cash.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you lobo_mau, I appreciate your response.

Any comments on the hotels? I can get the Cartuxa for the amazingly low price of 88 Euros, yet it is supposedly a four-star hotel! I have contacted the Pousada and await their response.

Regards Ger
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:33 AM

You didn't ask, but I ask permission to write my personal preferences in this area:

- Évora (Unesco heritage - to see the whole town itself, Diana roman temple, Cathedral, Bones Chapel, etc)
- Monsaraz (walled town, this town is at the same time untouched since centuries alive nevertheless) - to see: Jesus bearing the cross - author unknown - statue made of wood and the wall painting of the good and bad judge in the Inquisition Court)
- S. Pedro do Corval - this is a village completed devoted handicraft, mostly hand decorated plates. S. Pedro do Corval has more than 20 family run industries).
- Vila Viçosa - The palace of Dukes of Braganza. There are guided tours. I'm afraid the tours are in Portuguese Only. There are descriptive books in English. From this House, Catherine of Braganza left for England to marry Charles II and become Queen of England. Side by side there is a former convent, converted into Pousada.
Since 17th century up to 1910, Queens of Portugal, didn't use crowns in official cerimonies, because the crown is in the head of Our Lady of Conception of Vila Viçosa.
- Redondo - Nothing special, but a lovely place
- Estremoz - To see: street market, the Castle (Pousada) and Adega do Isaias - Adega do Isaias is very unexpensive and low profile restaurant where the owner barbecue for you whatever you like.
- Marvão - magic and beauty without limits
- Alandroal - Restaurant "a Maria" - the highest point of any travel - check in advance for availability
- Arraiolos - Hand made tapistry - The biggest and those of complex patterns require 2 months of hardwork. They are quite expensive. but beautiful to see.
Arraiolos has a beautiful Pousada. The church associated with the Pousada is completely covered with azulejos (hand painted tiles) with stories of their favourite saints and historical events, like a giant cartoon.
--------------
I prepared this in 2001, and I've just copied and past. You chose wisely, this is the most interesting part of Portugal. In addiction to the scenario in 2001, there is the new Alqueva Dam, giving the area a new water mirror. Most of the man made lake may be seen from Monsaraz castle.
Take are
enjoy
Joao
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Out of all lobo mau has suggested, we found Marvao to be the highlight.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lobo_mau, that is so kind of you - I will accept any advice you can give!

I chose the area because it sounded quite like the Extramadura area of Spain, which I loved (Roman ruins, hill towns, sparse population, interesting history).

Thanks xxxx (cute name gt )

regards Ger
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Well, since you think I'm cute...

We also enjoyed Monsaraz. If you get a chance, see if before Marvao as I don't think it seems as impressive after seeing Marvao.

The palace tour at Vila Vicosa was nice, but was indeed only in Portuguese. Our guide was kind enough to do much of it in both Portuguese and English. I'm sure he was going above and beyond the call of duty.

The ancient monoliths (not sure that is the correct word) in the area were also very interesting. Think Stonehenge on a smaller scale. And, yes, it really will seem as if you are driving on a cattle path to get to some of them.

I did not care for Evora as much as I had hoped I would. I think I built it up too much in my mind. I enjoyed the cathedral and the museum.

We stayed in Estremoz. Monte dos Pensamentos or something similar to that.

The Alentejo was a region I would go back to--wine and olives!!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Check this site:

http://www.hortadamoura.pt/include_i/hotel.asp?opcao=1

90 euros for a nupcial suite???

I've never been to the place, but it's in my to do list.

It's near Monsaraz. Check in a map if the location is suitable for you.

PS: you are a very nice person, you deserve all the attention of other fodorites
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We stayed at the Horta do Moura several years ago, and, at the time, it was one of the nicest 5 or 6 hotels we've ever stayed at around the world, period. Beautiful, romantic, spacious rooms, fireplace, idyllic walks, friendly horses in the stable, good food in the restaurant, and a fabulous bargain. Prehistoric standing stones down the road, and Monsaraz very close by. <i>If</i> it hasn't gone downhill, I couldn't recommend a place more highly.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind advice. I have made all my arrangements!

Flight: Flying from LHR to LIS on Friday morning, returning on Sunday

Car: Booked a compact for the ridiculously low price of CAD$200 for three days, with CDW; CAD$25 per day, paid at the airport, will provide ZERO deductible (or close to it). Note: I ALWAYS pay the extra for ZERO deductible!

Hotel: I had booked the hotel before I read your (Joao and Gardyloo) recommendations re the Horta do Moura, which sounds wonderful. I have booked a suite at the Hotel da Cartuxa for 150 Euros. Although I am just one person, I love a large room. The Pousada offered me a single room for 188 Euros and I was concerned that I would end up in the smallest room in the convent, where they used to lock up the errant nuns!

Using your recommendations, I have visited various tourist web-sites and printed off information. This will be a very loose and lightly-planned trip, but I am sure it will be enjoyable.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards Ger
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:01 AM

Hello Ger
Are you back home?
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:59 AM

Ger. Please post your trip report because we were unable to visit this region on our trip and would like to gather more information for our next visit.
Sherry
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Hello there:

Yes I am back lobo - GOD it was WET gt;(

I have photos and am writing a short trip report but unfortunately came home with a really bad cold, so please bear with me.

regards Ger
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM

WET in Alentejo? I'll bet the residents are thrilled.

When I was there many years ago, they had experienced years of drought and water was rationed. I missed getting a shower for days because I never figured out the irregular water schedule. It was only on about 2 hours a day, but at different times each day.

I thought they had experienced terrible droughts there recently also, so it is good to hear it was wet (though maybe not so good for your vacation.)
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Looking forward to your report.
And thanks for all of your help on our last trip, if I didn't tell you then.