Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   PORTUGAL/ALBUFEIRO/LISBON/GIBRALTAR -- need advice for 1st trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/portugal-albufeiro-lisbon-gibraltar-need-advice-for-1st-trip-21105/)

GITTINGS Jan 30th, 1998 08:23 PM

PORTUGAL/ALBUFEIRO/LISBON/GIBRALTAR -- need advice for 1st trip

Need advice for 1st visit to Portugal. Will be in Lisbon overnight and Albufeiro for approx. 2 weeks-- what to see and what to do in February? Any must see or do day trips? what temperatures to expect? Is drinking water safe? Any effects from el Nino?

Leslie Jan 31st, 1998 07:15 AM

We also stayed in Albufeiro for two weeks. We drove to Seville, Spain, and then down to Gibraltar. We spent one night in Gibraltar , and it's one of my favorite places in Europe! Car rental is cheap in Portugal. Crossing into Gibraltar from Spain is the most unfriendly border crossing in Europe. Nothing to worry about... they just purposefully cause long lines and delays because the Spanish and British are not friendly. It was interesting. Beware of people coming up to you in line, and telling you that you need to buy a 'parking permit.' They are trying to rip you off. You do *not* need to pay for anything. The first thing you see when you get to Gibraltar is a Safeway. I thought that was fun after two weeks in Portugal. The people are very interesting... of British, Spanish, and Diocese (sp?) descent. You can visit the Barbary apes, and the caves. I definitely recommend a trip!

Jill Jan 31st, 1998 09:09 AM

I plan to visit the Algarve myself, I am curious to know why you chose Albufeira as your home base. Did you consider other areas, why did you rule those places out? What is the area like around Albufeira? Leslie - it sounds like your trip is similar to the one I plan on taking. A number of years ago I spent spent some time in both Seville and Gibraltar, I think that Seville/Granada (Alhambra) are one of my favourites in Europe, thus the desire to return. Like yourself, I wish to take a side trip while I'm in the Algarve to visit Seville and the Gib. I am curious, however, whether you previously booked your Gib accommodation or did you look upon your arrival? If you pre-booked, how did you go about this and where did you stay? Any recommendations? Also, how long did it take you to drive from Albufeira to Seville and then Seville to Albufeira? Also, did you prebook your car rental - with who and how much for the 2 weeks? Thanks for your help.... "Gittings", consider the Seville/Gib trip yourself, it is a wonderful trip!

Rebecca Jan 31st, 1998 09:27 AM

My husband and I are also going to Portugal and Spain in June. Leslie, did you rent your car after you arrived? Also, does anyone know whether Expo 98 will affect the availability of hotel rooms in Lisbon (or anywhere else)? I'm also curious about how touristy people have found the Seville and Granada. I remember loving Portugal and Spain in 1985, but it was a short trip and I didn't go south.

Gittings Jan 31st, 1998 09:09 PM

Jill, we were fortunate enough to have been invited to accompany friends to their timeshare in Albufeiro so we did not rule anything else out. I understand there is a free shuttle to the beach four times per day. They apparently like it there, as this is their third visit to Portugal (they participate in a timeshare exchange program).

Leslie Feb 1st, 1998 07:23 AM

Rebecca - Yes, we rented a car after we arrived. We had not planned on it... but it was just too inexpensive to pass up. I should mention... we were on a package deal, issued by a German travel company, and we got the great deal from our 'holiday rep.' Nonetheless, I believe prices are good even if you don't have a package deal.

Jill Feb 1st, 1998 10:17 AM

Leslie - it sounds like your trip is similar to the one I plan on taking. A number of years ago I spent spent some time in both Seville and Gibraltar, I think that Seville/Granada (Alhambra) are one of my favourites in Europe, thus the desire to return. Like yourself, I wish to take a side trip while I'm in the Algarve to visit Seville and the Gib. I am curious, however, whether you previously booked your Gib accommodation or did you look upon your arrival? If you pre-booked, how did you go about this and where did you stay? Any recommendations? Also, how long did it take you to drive from Albufeira to Seville and then Seville to Albufeira? Thanks for your help....

Leslie Feb 1st, 1998 08:18 PM

Jill - We did not pre-book our hotel in Gibraltar. The whole thing was spontaneous. We got in the car, planning only on finding a beach further east than Albufeiro... and just kept going. We drove to Seville, and changed clothes in a parking garage (we were wearing only swimsuits). Then after exploring for a while, we got into the car, and kept on going. When we reached Gibraltar, we asked some people we saw in the Safeway parking lot, where we should stay, and they all agreed that the cleanest, least expensive hotel was ??. I can't remember the name, but I can look it up. The bathroom and showers were down the hall, but it *was* quite inexpensive, and included a full English breakfast. I *think* the total driving time was 5 hours... but I have to look that up too in my journal.