Portugal: A Photographic Trip Album

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I visited Portugal for two weeks back in the spring, from 4/27 through 5/10. The weather was beautiful and I loved the trip. Sometime, I'd like to publish a written trip report, but for now I'm posting a link to a photo album on Flickr where I've begun posting the photos. I've also created some other individual albums for particular places (Lisbon/Sintra, Coimbra, etc.). These photos reflect my interest in history, architecture, art, and both urban and natural landscapes.

I started in Lisbon, and visited Sintra and Queluz from there. Then I rented a car and headed north, through Mafra and Obidos and Alcobaca to Coimbra. After touring Coimbra, I visited the Roman ruins at Conimbriga; the abbey of Batalha; the complex of the Knights Templars/Order of Christ at Tomar; and the Templar castle on the island of Almourol before continuing to Marvao near the Spanish border. After visiting Marvao, I visited Castelo do Vide and Elvas before driving on to Evora. After touring Evora, I continued on to the south coast, where I spent one night in Albufeira and two in Lagos, exploring the south coast from just west of Tavira to Cape St. Vincent. Then I drove back to Lisbon and flew home. Sorry - no Porto or the Douro valley.

I would also be glad to respond to questions anyone has about prospective Portugal trips of their own.

Here's the link:

Last edited by jeffergray; Dec 24th, 2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 11:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Really enjoyed your fabulous photos, working my way through your other albums.

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! My pleasure.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

My Portugal Trip: Planning and Preparations

I've decided to continue with a written trip report as well. Due to work pressures, I will be posting this in a series of installments as time permits. I'll begin with some explanation of my preferences and planning process.

Portugal is a really hot destination for Americans these days (I recently saw Lisbon listed on Kayak as # 6 of the Top Ten Trending Destinations this year). And no wonder -- there's great stuff to see, both in terms of history and landscapes; it's economical; it's easy to get around; and there are plenty of English speakers (the southern Algarve coast is basically England's substitute for not having a Florida of its own). It had actually been a travel objective of mine for a long time, but two earlier attempts to get there fell victim to unexpected circumstances, and so it wasn’t until this year (at the age of 62) that I was finally able to make it happen.

For me, at least, it was well worth the wait. I’m an experienced traveler who loves history, architecture, art, photography, hiking, and exploring local gastronomic options. I was traveling solo on this occasion, which freed me to set as demanding a pace as I wanted to – and that can be pretty demanding, so don’t feel that you should necessarily take your cues from me!

I flew over and back on Delta (Saturday, April 27 through Friday, May 10). The ticket cost me around $875 RT, and I picked it up when I saw a good price in August of 2018. I kept my alerts in place after I made the purchase, and I don’t recall ever seeing anything much less expensive than what I paid – if anything, the rates more commonly seem to run $1050 - $1300. It was a connecting flight to JFK in New York and then direct to Lisbon. My experiences with Delta as a trans-Atlantic carrier have been quite positive.

To get some background on Portugal before I left, I read “The Portuguese: A Modern History,” by a journalist named Barry Hatton (very good on recent political and economic history, and on the national character; Hatton has lived there for many years); and Volume I of “A History of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire to 1807" by A.R. Disney. Both are available on Kindle. For the more casual traveler, I would recommend Hatton’s book. Disney’s book isn’t overly long (c. 350 pages) and it gives you a good overview of Portugal’s history from c. 1130-1807, but he is a well-regarded academic historian, not a popular one (i.e., he is writing more to inform, than to dazzle or entertain), and thus I would only recommend his book if you have a deep interest in history. However, the area of central Portugal that I planned to spend much of my time in is the heartland of Portuguese history, and it really added something to know at least some basic information about the kings and queens whose buildings and tombs I was seeing.

For guidebooks, I relied mainly on “The Blue Guide: Portugal” (always great for history, art, architecture, and earlier traveler’s accounts) and the 9th edition of Rick Steves’s guidebook (2017), supplemented by some photocopies from Fodor’s and Lonely Planet and the DK (Doring-Kindersley) Eyewitness Guide (for the color pictures) and TripAdvisor for hotels and restaurants. National Geographic Traveler also has a shorter Portugal guide that’s good to use for figuring out what you want to see - again, beautiful color photos and nice short lists of “Don’t Miss” things and experiences, but it doesn’t have enough detail to rely on it as a primary guide while traveling, and is heavier than you would want to pack. In retrospect, I wish I’d made more advance use of Wikipedia for some of the destinations along my way – some of the places I went through (notably Marvao) turned out to have remarkably comprehensive articles, far beyond what any individual guidebook would be able to offer you. If you don’t have time to check these out in advance, I recommend that you look them up on Wikipedia as you reach each destination.

I selected my hotels through Expedia and Booking.com, backed up by TripAdvisor and Rick Steves in the places that his guidebook covers (it focuses on the major tourist centers). I was pleased with all of them, and except for an initial semi-splurge at the Hotel Santa Justa in Lisbon ($250 range), everywhere I stayed was between $70 and $130 per night, with a number of them below $100.

My planned itinerary (there was one adjustment en route, as explained below) was:

Nights 1-4: Lisbon
Night 5: Obidos
Nights 6-7: Coimbra
Night 8: Marvao
Night 9: Evora
Night 10: Albufeira
Nights 11-12: Lagos
Night 13: Lisbon

I rented a car (through Hertz) for ten days, and covered about a thousand miles. Unfortunately, it’s been 25 years since I drove a manual on a regular basis, so I decided to get an automatic. That wasn’t a big problem in Italy on our 2018 trip, but with Hertz in Portugal, your choices in the automatic range were limited to a tiny Fiat with virtually no storage space or a Mercedes. So I went with the Mercedes. It was a pleasure to drive, but painfully expensive, and it certainly caused me some nervous moments when negotiating twisting or confined spaces (like some small town streets and parking garage ramps). Also, the cost was inflated by getting the GPS option, which ultimately proved to be far less useful than Google Maps on my IPhone, which worked perfectly once I learned that I was better off relying on it.

In terms of the timing of the trip, I love traveling in southern Europe in the mid-springtime. The daytime temperatures are generally pleasant, but it’s usually warm enough to swim after mid-April. The wild flowers are still in bloom and the rest of the vegetation hasn’t yet been burned brown by the summer heat. The tourist crowds are thinner and the days are long enough to allow for extended sightseeing (sunset usually came at around 8:20 - 8:30 during my trip). I chose to go later in April (leaving 4/27) to reduce the risk of rain, and was amply rewarded. In mid-April this year, there was rain about 50% of the time in the couple of weeks leading up to my trip. By the time I got there, I had overcast or drizzly weather for only portions of three of the 13 days I was in-country.

To be continued . . . .
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I like reading the planning, so thanks for this.

I think some people might just be clicking on the one Flickr photo and not able to proceed through your album...you see it’s had a lot of views, whereas the others not so much.

Maybe insert some some into your text as you go, as your photos are fantastic!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great photos and I'm glad you decided to write a TR. We'll go in September and while everything is pretty much planned, we haven't bought the flight tickets yet. We're in NJ and prisoners to United with fares around 13-1400 that don't seem to go down. I've been following them for a few months now and nothing....
Our interests are almost exactly the same as yours, so I'll follow your TR with much interest, even though our itinerary will be a little bit different (with Porto and Douro Valley instead of Evora and Lagos).

How did you get this perspective in this photo?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 12:54 PM

xyz99- Confused by the ticket prices you're seeing. You can fly TAP direct out of Newark for around $740 usd in September.

jeffergray- thanks for posting. Portugal certainly is getting 'hot' on the tourist market. Still affordable and a great time to visit. We were in country same time as you and had a great trip.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 05:30 AM

bdokeefe, we are looking at United, as we are hoping for Premium Economy seats. From what I see, TAP only has plain Economy and Business. But the price difference is huge, so I think we'll have to deal with less leg room with TAP...
I just got the United notification today, price for our dates jumped to $1693, and that's basic economy. Crazy!
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

xyz99, I'd like to say I did it by levitating, but there's an upstairs balcony in the Jeronimos Monastery church, probably right in front of the organ.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by jeffergray
xyz99, I'd like to say I did it by levitating, but there's an upstairs balcony in the Jeronimos Monastery church, probably right in front of the organ.
Ha-ha-ha, good to know, I'm not good at levitating
I'll make sure to look for the entrance, thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 10:47 AM

Your photos are beautiful! You have a good eye for composition, angles, and details. We only had time to visit Lisbon and Sintra. Queluz looks stunning! And I would love to visit Marvao. We need to return to Portugal! Your photos end at Marvao. Did you post photos for Evora and the Algarve? What is your opinion of the Algarve? I have read conflicting reports.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

xyz99, as I recall, the entrance to the balcony isn't from the main church, but is instead from the second level of the adjoining cloister.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Also, don't miss the tomb of Vasco da Gama, which is sort of off to the left around the corner from the altar area in the church. However, if you've read Conquerors, Roger Crowley's book about the Portuguese voyages to India and the often savage means by which they carved out a place for themselves there, you will have very mixed feelings about him.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, karenwoo! I will be getting to my photos of Evora and the Algarve once I finish Castelo da Vide and Elvas. As for the Algarve, I definitely recommend it. Sagres and Cape St. Vincent are amazing, as is the coastline to the east of Portmaio, and the cliffs just to the south of Lagos (the Ponta da Piedade is not to be missed). I liked Lagos (where I found a wonderful little boutique hotel outside of it called the Quinta Bonita) and also the castle/cathedral town of Silves, and there's a small, azulejo-covered church (Sao Lourenco) near Loule (closest to a village called Almansil) that I think is one of the most beautiful I've seen. There's also a beautiful beach to the east of Albufeira that I think is called the Praia Falesia. So I do think the Algarve is worth a visit -- those cliffs were like nothing I've ever seen.

But it is also true that mass, package tourism has overrun whole stretches of the Algarve. Albufeira is sort of like Fort Lauderdale on a clifftop, with big glitzy hotel after big glitzy hotel, most of them set up so that you hardly even need to leave the property if you aren't motivated to -- I thought of them as like big cruise ships that somehow got marooned on land.

When are you making your trip?
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by jeffergray
xyz99, as I recall, the entrance to the balcony isn't from the main church, but is instead from the second level of the adjoining cloister.
Thanks for this additional note. I'm sure we'll spend a good amount of time at the monastery, it looks beautiful. I haven't read Conquerors, but now I want to. I'm sure that creating an empire was not simple, peaceful or pretty. Unfortunately, this was not the only such case in history.
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 03:31 PM

Enjoying your trip report! We leave in a month, so am eager to read the rest!

We are also renting a car and staying in Alcobaca (1 night) and Coimbra (2 nights) between Lisbon and Porto. Was planning on going to Tomar from Alcobaca on way to Coimbra. Would like to know how you enjoyed Coimbra as we are also staying 2 nights in order to have 1 full day there.

Last edited by passported; Feb 1st, 2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 03:20 AM

This is great and very helpful! Love the photos!

I'm now planning a last minute trip to Spain and Portugal and will arrive mid-April (fingers crossed that it's not too rainy!). This is after canceling our trip to China, so I'm a tiny bit fried from planning trips, but Portugal looks lovely. We have 20 days to figure out, beginning in Lisbon and ending in Porto. I'll be asking questions soon!

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 06:27 PM

I just purchased tickets with TAP out of Boston for $580 each. September 12-26. I booked directly from TAP website. I grabbed them the minute I saw them! Best price I’ve seen!
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 05:43 AM

Thanks for posting your prep - very helpful and your photo album is beautiful.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

A full day in Coimbra

passported,

I don't know if you're already on your way to Portugal, but I loved Coimbra. I likewise stayed for two nights so that I could have a full day there. I was at the Ibis Hotel on the road running along the Mandego River, which provides basic but inexpensive accommodations and a friendly and helpful staff. Its location facilitated covering the old town entirely on foot. Rick Steves's guide says that "Coimbra is second only to Lisbon," and I would agree with that (while having to confess that I haven't yet been to Porto). Unless there's some weird early March break, you will be there when school is in session, which added much to the enjoyment of my visit, as Portuguese students wear these unisex Harry Potter-ish black capes, white shirts, black ties, and black skirts or trousers that are very picturesque. Colored ribbons distinguish which schools they are affiliated with.

Coimbra's highlights for me were -- well, pretty much everything. The Church of Santa Cruz, which Portugal's founding king and his son are entombed, is a sprawling complex that is worth a thorough tour. Here are a couple of images:

I loved the Museum Machado de Castro -- but it helps to be medieval and Renaissance art buff. There is some really unique statuary in there. Even beyond that, however, the museum offers two great attractions. The first is its modern cafe (with buffet), which commands a sweeping view down the hill to the old cathedral, and then to the river and the hills beyond. The second is the Cryptoporticus of Aeminium, which were the support and mercantile structures that provided a base for the forum of the old Roman town. It's beautifully preserved and amazing to walk through.

Here's the view from the museum's cafe:

Beyond that, the major halls in the main building of the old University, and the views of the city from its catwalk; the lovely chapel of St. Michael's in the old university complex, with its beautiful azulejos (being allowed to get married there is one the great perks of being a Coimbra graduate); and the astonishing, totally worth the wait to get in, but-God-I-wish-you-could-take-photos-in-there-even-though-I-understand-why-you-can't Library of King Joao the Vth are not to be missed (and I'm sure you wouldn't anyway). I liked the old cathedral (which looks like it was intended to do double service as a fortress); the massive baroque cathedral at the top of the hill is vast and somewhat bland, but does have an impressive dome.

For Fado, I attended a performance at the Cafe Santa Cruz, which was fine and did not require advance reservations. Fado ao Centro, which is on the Rua Quebra Costas, halfway uphill from the Arco del Almendina (the surviving Moorish arch ion the old city walls) and downhill from the old cathedral is also highly recommended, but you should probably reserve for the 7 p.m. performance earlier in the day.

I regretted that I missed touring the Botanical Gardens and seeing the aqueduct that runs through them; these only seem to be about a 5-10 minute walk around the corner from the old university complex.

Also, if you're driving to Coimbra from the south or driving back to the south after visiting it, I recommend spending 60-90 minutes at the Roman ruins of Conimbriga. It's the best Roman site in Portugal, with well-preserved city walls and amazing mosaic floorings from a couple of large late Roman era villas.

I will post links below to the photo albums on Coimbra and Conimbriga that I posted on Flickr.

(Coimbra)

(Conimbriga)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -