Portsmouth & the Isle of Wight

Jun 28th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Portsmouth & the Isle of Wight

My wife and I will be driving from London to Portsmouth on a Monday morning in September. We plan to spend 3 nights and 2 full days in the Portsmouth area. I'm thinking we will devote a full day to Portsmouth and another full day to the Isle of Wight. Any comments about the itinerary and any suggestions about a place to stay will be appreciated. After the 3rd night, we will drive to the west to Falmouth.
Jul 20th, 2015, 01:52 PM

Premier Inn Southsea Hotel is not bad.
I let my husband pick the hotel for this trip and he went location, location location and it was horrid. He is retired Navy so loved Portsmouth.

Mary Rose/ great exhibit
HMS Victory/ I loved this. Great ship.

Harbour Tours/ included in the ticket we bought

The Historic Boat Workshop
National Museum of the Royal Navy Portsmouth

Took a ferry to Gosport
Royal Navy Submarine Museum/ husband loved this because he was a sub sailor

We enjoyed the big mall with seaside dining by the spinnaker tower.
We did not have a car so walked everywhere but saw plenty.
Jul 20th, 2015, 02:00 PM

As I posted on the other thread:

What is your budget? . . .

I'd personally not stay in Portsmouth but in the New Forest - you could do Portsmouth as a day trip from there, be close to Beaulieu, Buckler's Hard (really interesting for anyone interested in shipbuilding), and also take the ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buck...FUqGkAod6CMAqw

http://www.bucklershard.co.uk
Jul 20th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

flpab,
What do you mean when you say "Premier Inn Southsea Hotel is not bad" and then say
"I let my husband pick the hotel for this trip and he went location, location location and it was horrid."

Was the location of the Premier Inn Southsea "horrid?"
Jul 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Was the location of the Premier Inn Southsea "horrid?"

It depends what sort of location you are looking for. The Southsea Premier Inn is by Clarence Pier, so close to the sea. It's an easy walk to Old Portsmouth, where you can watch the comings and goings in the harbour and visit the pubs and restaurants. There are no shops in the immediate vicinity.

The hotel itself is quite old now, but is doubtless in reasonable condition. The restaurant is a Brewer's Fayre, which is more family oriented than fine dining. The hotel is near the hovercraft terminal and next to a fun fair.

The area is neither cute nor quaint, but has a certain robust authenticity which is not unappealing, especially for those with maritime connections.
Jul 20th, 2015, 10:46 PM

Fortitude Cottage is v.close to the camber in Old Portsmouth, and also the Round Tower [entrance to Portsmouth Harbour]...

http://www.fortitudecottage.co.uk/

...excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, Agoda, and Booking.com

Several olde worlde pubs and restaurants in Old Portsmouth, and only a 10 minute walk to Gunwharf Quays [restaurants/shops], Portsmouth Harbour train station. wightlink Isle of Wight ferries, and Portsmouth Historical Dockyard.
Jul 21st, 2015, 06:04 AM

If I were visiting Portsmouth, I'd be tempted by Fortitude Cottage, or a handful of other B&Bs in the Broad Street region.
There are several on this site http://hotels.inportsmouth.co.uk/)

I cannot speak from experience, because I live relatively close to Portsmouth (so have never had need of overnight accomodation but I am a very frequent visitor to the city, and that area in particular.

Another possible tip - If you plan on spending much time at the Royal Navy Museum (and there is plenty to keep you occupied) look out for Groupon.co.uk deals for Portsmouth. They often have discounted Dockyard tickets which will save you 50% of the annual entry fee. It is an expensive museum, but a cut price yearly ticket works out cheaper than individual entries to the exhibits.
Jul 21st, 2015, 08:30 AM

The pub/hotel at Bucklers is great.

Look out for Fort Nelson to visit at Porchester, Victoria's house on the Isle is the main draw. Though there are some castles around the coast worth dropping into. Hire a bike or catch the train (ex Tube rolling stock last time I looked but maybe it has changed)