Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portoverne - which hotel - can we train in,drive out

Dec 9th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Bebe

Interested in staying two nights in Portovenere. We would be coming from Lake Como where we would not have a rental car. Can we take a train from Como to Portovenere and then rent a car when it is time to head on to Tuscany? Or do we need to drive from Como? Any recommendations for hotels in Portovenere?

Dec 9th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Betsy

Bebe, check out the AutoEurope website at www.autoeurope.com. There's a pull down menu with all the possible rental places in Italy. See if Portovenere is on the list.

Dec 9th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Betsy

Curiosity got the best of me, so I looked it up. There's no listing for Portovenere, but there is one for La Spezia. Isn't that close?

Dec 9th, 2002, 03:29 PM
gac

The train station is at La Spezia. There is half-hourly bus service from La Spezia to Portovenere.

Dec 9th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Kay

La Spezia and all the 5 Cinque Terre villages are on the train line but Portovenere is not. It's accessible by bus from La Spezia.
I would check out the parking situation before taking a car there as when we stayed in Manarola (CT) earlier this year, parking was minimal in all the villages.
Kay

Dec 9th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Robert

Seems like logistics make it easier to drive assuming you have parking at hotel in portovenere. RR

Dec 9th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Trish

We drove to Portovenere from Tuscany - had no problem parking at our hotel, we then took the boat to the Cinque Terre villages. Portovenere is a wonderful place to stay. If you have any further questions, please e-mail me direct.

Jul 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM

There's a celebration on August 9th (I believe) at the church next to the castle on Portoverne. I think the celebration is for Saint Madonna. Is anyone aware of this celebration and can provide me with accurate details as to the date, saint, etc.? Thanks!
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:55 AM

Go here for the information (at the bottom of the item) about the White Madonna:

http://www.lasprugola.com/portovenerenglish.htm
Jul 31st, 2006, 05:08 AM

Trish,

What hotel did you stay at?

Bebe,

You can take the train to La Spezia and get a bus to Portovenere, which makes sense if you don't have a lot of luggage. Then you can rent a car in La Spezia on your way to Tuscany.

If yu have a lot of luggage, it might make sense to take the train and gat a taxi transfer to Portovenere and back, rather than drive from Como and then pay to park your car for two days. But it might not be!

Your hotel (or even its website) should be able to help you out with details.