Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Portobello Road Market --Question about Tube

Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Rather specific question--We'll be in London in July staying in Belgravia. Which is the best tube stop/ destination that gets us closest to Portobello Road? (This assumes we use the tube, not a bus) All we want to do is basically walk down Portobello Road, experiencing the market just a little, early on a Friday morning (CAN'T go on the Saturdays we're in London) and want to go by Books for Cooks on Blenheim Crescent. So which might be better, Ladbroke Grove or Westbourne Park? It seems that Ladbroke Grove would get us closer, in about the same amount of tube time, but guide books/travel suggestions seem to only mention Westbourne Park (or NottingHill Gate but we don't want to walk both up and down Portobello). Any insight? Some private info I'm not aware of about that area?---thanks as always
Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM

The best tube station is Nottinghill Gate. You are aware that the antique shops and "malls" along Portobello will be open but there will be no outside market as there is on Saturdays? As you walk along Portobello Rd. you'll come to Ladbrooke and Westbourne after you pass Westbourne Grove you'll come upon Blenhein Crescent. Come back out to Portobello Rd and Walk down to the LAdbrooke Grove tube to return/
Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I know we're missing some of what Portobello is famous for but have out-of-London commitments on Saturdays.

Could I do this suggestion backwards? Arrive at Ladbroke, walk down Portobello, walk through Kensington Park, get to VandA? We're good walkers--and want to end up at the VandA in early afternoon. So want to start on north end of Portobello and not backtrack any.--thanks
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM

No problem, walk down Portobello to Notting hill gate tube and take the circle and district line to either Glouster Rd or South Kensington to get to the V&A
Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:01 PM

Gloucester Road, sorry
Apr 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

RE my original queston: I'd still like at know if there's any reason to avoid Ladbroke Grove tube area on a weekday morning. I'm a cautious person not a Nervous Nelly and felt safe every where I went in London 3 years ago but I read in another guide to avoid this area at night. We'd arrive mid-morning then walk to Portobello Road, then walk south. Comments?
Apr 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM

If you're a real antique hunter, you actually might enjoy Portobello Road far more on a "non market" Saturday.
It really becomes sort of "zoo-like" on Saturday and the tables of tourist specials and more flea market items lined up outside the shops is kind of a false impression of what the area really offers.
Apr 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Just did Portobello Market and Books for Cooks last week. Go in through Notting Hill Gate then out through Ladbroke Grove, you're fine.
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who've replied--Can I restate my question so it's clearer though?--We don't want to walk NORTH on Portobello, we want to walk South and END UP near Nottinghill Gate, then head to Kensington Park/V and A ON FOOT (we're good walkers and not in a hurry this day). My only question, and not a major concern but interested, is --is there any reason to avoid STARTING THIS DAY at Ladbroke Grove tube stop and working our way south from there? We're going to start somewhere at the "top" of Portobello Road because that's what will work for my "plan" this day so just exploring different starting points. (and like I said, i read to avoid Ladbroke Grove at night, but it didn't say why, or about the daytime)--thanks--
Apr 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM

You have a good plan - do it!