Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Porto: Where to park rental car overnight through following day (during the week).

Search

Porto: Where to park rental car overnight through following day (during the week).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to visit Porto for one day (a Tuesday in October) and will be coming from Braga. We are planning to spend the night somewhere in Porto and tour by foot and /or public transportation on Tuesday (mainly Riberia area and maybe Villa Nova de Gaia) as we hear parking and driving not a good idea in Port (as to be expected of any big city). After that we head south to Aveiro.

It seems like most hotels I'm looking at advertise free parking - but that this means you have a find a spot to park on the street. Will we have a hard time finding FREE, safe, parking on a Monday night, where we can leave car until we're done with Porto late Tuesday? I assume this depends on which area of Porto - like city center might be harder than other areas??? Would really appreciate help / advice as if there is a better area to stay where parking will be free, safe and plentiful we will try to find a place to stay in that area. We are not picky and don't want to spend a LOT on a hotel in Porto. Just a clean comfortable place to sleep and take a shower. (2 active adults late 50's). (I know you can take public transportation to and from Porto but have no idea what the parking situation might be at the locations from which we'd be taking in the subway or bus stations. Seems like parking in Port overnight would save us time.)
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 10:45 PM

Hotels can be found on Booking using filters you can find something that is suitable for you, no?
Those listed will tell you if you are going to have to pay. Basically there is no free parking*. Alternative is to use a parking map. https://www.parkopedia.pt * This indicates that there is one location which is free. It is very limited.
I personally would not drive into the city. Narrow streets full of Portuguese who know their way around.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the parking website. I've been using booking.com filtering by "free parking" but when I enquire further with the host it usually means parking on the street.