Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just me or does Sorrento's Parco dei Principi seem a bit dated?

Old Jun 25th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously considering biting the bullet and committing to Sorrento as our base (husband, 11 year old and parents) for he three nights we are in the coastal area. It seems my dollars go further accommodation wise in Sorrento. I am able to get a sea view room here and can't even touch one in Positano. In 2003 my parents and I laws had stayed at Le Sirenuse (no view) for a king's ransom and my friends just came back from Murat but the prices are borderline insane for this August. I want to spend under 400 per night for each room. The outdoor photos of PdP on yelp and trip advisor look lovely but the indoor ones look a bit stale and outdated. There were many "excellent" ratings, but also quite a few "poor" ones which makes me uneasy. I would love an ocean front room, better than average a/c and a cost of about 400 dollars per room.

Do you think I can do better than PdP?
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM

August is high season - you couldn't get any more in demand at that time of year, hence the cost. It's a bit 'out of town' for me - more Sant Angello than Sorrento - but still walking distance from the train etc.
I would look on Trip Advisor and ask questions of the people who have done the most recent reviews.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to August. You're late.

Check also booking.com and venere.com.

See what's available at the Hotel Tramontano and the Hilton Palace, but I don't think you'll find a seaview room for $400.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

I've actually had no problems finding TWO rooms at more than a half dozen places. I just want to get the most for my money at this point.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not a Sorrento fan, but I did like my stay at the Cesar Augusto when I was in town.

It is an old school hotel, but the bathrooms are huge and it does have a swimming pool. It is also a short walk to the Foreigners' Club. (Great views of Bay of Naples here.)

My sister always stays at Le Sirenuse.

Thin
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Check out Villa Sabrina Relais. It is just a wee bit out of town, but it is a short bus ride to the city center and they have two seaview rooms left. It is a beautiful hotel. It is also in your price range. I would jump on this if you find it at all appealing.

I have stayed in town and up on Capo. I actually prefer being a little away from the center. It is a very small town anyway.

My favorite hotel in Sorrento is the Minerva, but they are often booked a year ahead. Don't know your exact dates, so you could check.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

The Villa Sabrina Relais looks gorgeous! I will check it out. Many thanks for all the excellent responses. They are most appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 07:11 AM

In general I think that the hotels in that stretch of coastline are not comparable to hotels in other upscale resort areas. Unless you go to the very highest tier (Avino, Sireneuse, and not too many others) you are not going to find furnishings on par with what you might in a grand luxury property in some other locations. It's as if the views and the enchantement of the area are the draw,not the interiors of the hotel. Sure I will get many dissenting comments about this but after having made countless trips to the region and stayed in hotels across all price ranges, it is my own view.

So you might not have the most up to date tv, oro the most glorious bed linens. There may be a scratch on the furniture. Allow yourself to think beyond those tiny, tiny debits and accept that that is the norm here….
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass, I can not thank you enough for the recommendation of Villa Sabrina Relais. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Rosalba who was the embodiment of warm and gracious hospitality. We booked the penthouse apartment at the villa. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living area, full breakfast, complimentary driver service from 9am to 7pm into Sorrento unlimited times each day, 24 hour butler etc. 670 Euros a night! What a spectacular deal. I would have paid more for the two separate rooms at Parco dei Principi. She is also helping me to secure a private driver to take us to Pompeii and a full day boating tour of the coast. I am thrilled. This will be a more unique and initmate experience. I can not wait to take a dip in that infinity pool! Mille Grazie for the suggestion once again. May your life be filled with health, happiness, and many wonderful trips!
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 07:51 AM

I am glad it worked out, just as long as you were aware of it being a bit from the center of things. I love that part of Sorrento. It gets you away from the touristy stuff. Yes, takes a few more minutes into town, but I didn't mind. I hesitated because a lot of people feel those extra ten minutes are not worth it, and look only in town. Also, it has been awhile since I have been there. I generally don't make recs when I haven't been there recently, so I am really hoping it is good for you and your trip is wonderful.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Not that far from the center. 5 minute drive. And they provide a complimentary driver. It sounds sublime! I will let you know for sure.