Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Porte Montreuil (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/porte-montreuil-343403/)

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 02:06 AM

Porte Montreuil

Hi,I have just found an offer the Suitehotel in Porte Montreuil gives the rate of 46euros for a double room in August.This is great!
However, I know that many of you wouldnt like to stay of the centre of Paris.Anyway, I would like to know if Montreuil area is at least safe in the night.Thank you

sneeky Aug 1st, 2003 07:01 AM

Litter seen in gutters and on sidewalks at the Montreuil junk market included soiled condoms and used hypodermic needles. It's a depressed area in daylight and cover of darkness will not make the people in that area any less desperate. Do you really want to be a foreign tourist walking around with money there?

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 07:43 AM

Is it really so bad?I am curious....From your way of wtiting I think that you are exaggerated.Thank you anyway.
I am not afraid of darkness I just wanted to know if this is area is dangerous (crimes etc)
I am not going to spend time there,except for walking till the metro Porte de Montreuil.46euros for a suite is mega price...What are your cooments please?

ira Aug 1st, 2003 08:04 AM

Hi ackis,

I haven't been there, but usually, if it is too good to be true - it is.

ChatNoir Aug 1st, 2003 08:12 AM

RE: ackis

Yes, it is a dangerous place after dark. End of story.

You sound like a real thifty guy who has already made up his mind and gets angry if someone, who has been asked, expresses an oninion that runs counter to it. Why ask a question if you can't stand a truthful answer?

Go save your little bit of money and hope you don't get mugged!

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 08:13 AM

Hi Ira, excuse me but my english is poor.Can you explain me , what did you mean?Thanks

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 08:18 AM

Thanks for your comments Chatnoir, it made me laugh!I am here to help and to be helped.End of story...
Moreover, I have to tell you that I am not the kind of guy that looks like a tourist...I try to behave like a local person when I am travelling abroad.Thank you.

ira Aug 1st, 2003 08:34 AM

Hi ackis,

The phrase means that you rarely find really great bargains. Generally, when you find something at a very low price it is because it is not worth more than that.

I looked up your hotel on the web, but could find no reviews.

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 08:39 AM

Thanks Ira,I didn't find comments too.However, if you check accorhotels.com and then suitehotels brand you will find pictures, info ,etc.If you try to book on 14 , 15 August except for the public rate of 89euros/Suite there is also an internet special price of 46euros/Suite.
The hotel was built in 2001.Please check it out if you want

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 11:41 AM

I phoned the Suitehotel and they told me that the system is wrong .One should stay 3 consecutive days from Friday to Monday so as to have this special rate of 46euros/night.
Anyway, I reserved a double in Libertel Quartier Latin for the special internet price of 90euros/night incl.breakfast.

ira Aug 1st, 2003 12:30 PM

Hi ackis,

I think you found a very good price for the Libertel. Where did you find it?

ackis Aug 1st, 2003 12:37 PM

in accorhotels.com,I have already booked it but I can change my booking if I want to 24hours before, did I make a good choice?

QuikTrips Aug 1st, 2003 04:25 PM

Ackis, you will be safer and closer in the Latin Quarter at the Libertel. No comparison and you got a good room rate, too.