COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Port Info for Cruise

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Port Info for Cruise

We are taking a Med. cruise on the RSSC Voyager May 20th through 27th. We have ports of Rome, Sorrento, Sicily, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Ravenna and Venice. We are looking for advice on sites, activities and dining suggestion in any of these cities. If any one has taken this cruise before we would love to hear their review of the trip and the RSSC Voyager.

thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM

Hi

This is a great forum for info and so is - http://www.cruise-addicts.com.

Cheers
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:51 AM
ira

Hi GM,

Your ship will not dock in Rome.

Civitavecchia is the port. It is about an hour by train to Rome.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:13 AM

Have you looked at the Michelin Green Guide to Italy? Most of your stops are in that country. Also, there is a Michelin Red Guide for Italy which will give you information on places to eat.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:58 AM

Hi -

I'd recommend that you go to cruisecritic.com and click on destinations for the ports you'll be visiting. You'll finds loads of information about each of these. Of course you could also check RSSC's website.

We're doing a Celebrity cruise of the Mediterranean in June and have found cruisecritic.com to be the most valuable source of information.

KC
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM

For information about Corfu, have a look at http://www.agni.gr/guides/what_to_se...wn_kerkyra.asp

I wouldn't bother with an organised excursion in Corfu. Just get yourselves into town, wander round the outdoor market, sit and watch the world go by on the Liston, maybe take a ride in a horse-drawn carriage, and, if the sun's not too hot, spend an hour or two exploring the Old Fort.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:33 AM

Quote of knoxvillecouple (KC): "I'd recommend that you go to cruisecritic.com and click on destinations for the ports you'll be visiting. You'll finds loads of information about each of these. Of course you could also check RSSC's website.

We're doing a Celebrity cruise of the Mediterranean in June and have found cruisecritic.com to be the most valuable source of information."

-----------------------------

On the other hand, when I prepared for a cruise in northern Europe three years ago and the Med last year, I found this site to be a very useful complement to the cruise critic site. If you are a do-it-yourself type, I have found the folks on this site to be more knowledgeable once you have done some research and have specific questions about the ports of call. I suggest you look at the port information on cruise critic (www.cruisecritic.com/ports/index.cfm), and the boards for European ports of call (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19). Then, search for threads on this board where topics of interest have been discussed. When you have questions about your ports of call, post questions on cruise critic, but also here. Cruise critic is okay, but the folks on this board are wonderfully knowledgeable.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:59 AM

The mosiacs in Ravenna are wonderful! It is a small town, easy to walk around, get a combo ticket for the various sites and enjoy! In Sorrento you will probably want to do either a trip to Capri or to Pompei (depending on your interests). If the ship offers a drive down the Amalfi coast - that would be a winner too. In Sorrento we dined several times at a restaurant I think, named D'Antonios. There really isn't much to see in Sorrento itself tho. Sounds like a wonderful cruise!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM

I concur with luv2cthings about using Fodors as well as cruisecritic. In terms of actual information about some of the sites you'll be visiting you may get better info here than cruisecritic - at least in the sense that cruisecritic boards seem to be dominated by people who love to cruise and, almost incidentally, have shore excursions. Fodors people seem to be focused more on what's going on in the towns visited.

Check out all sources.

KC
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:06 PM

Sorrento: we hired a driver (Giovanni of tourofitaly.com )to take six of us on an all day trip along the Amlafi Coast, stopping in Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and Ravello.

Sicily: Where? our port was Siracusa, where we walked in the old city, stopping in several places we had read about, then took the bus to the Archeological Park and stopped at the Church of Tears.

Corfu: we did a self-guided historical walking tour, and then took the little train lloking tram to the sights a little farther out.

Dubrovnik: walk the walls with the audio guide, poke around the old city, going into churches and museums.

Venice: read the destination section of this website for suggested one, two and three day itineraries
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their advice. we will let you know how things worked out when we return.