A few months back, I posted asking about Internet resources to systematically improve my Dutch at essentially a beginner's level during my spare time. I feel I'm making some strides in my efforts thanks to the "Living Language" series and one site on youtube (I did consider Rosetta Stone as one of you suggested, but the price and immediate availability of the "Living Language" series made me go with that one instead.) I'm on Chapter 6 now and feel I'm making progress (boy is it tough though to start fresh a new language, as closely related to English as it is).
Anyway, to improve my listening comprehension, the dialogues have been great in my book, but also made me aware of the challenges of understanding the spoken language at a natural pace.
QUESTION: So, to help me out in this regard, I'd like to listen a bit to some well-liked Dutch shows from the last 20 or 30 years... could be period piece, comedy, drama, news show. To get my ear used to real people speaking at a real pace prior to a summer trip, but also to get more in the know of what non-angloworld programs some Dutch people appreciate. I wouldn't mind for example some Dutch equivalents of similar types of shows from Britain or the US: "Ab Fab", "Coronation Street", "Downton Abbey", "The Tudors", "Masterpiece Theater", "60 Minutes" , "Six Feet Under", doesn't have to be any of these though...
"Joris en Monique", "Koefnoen", "Weten Zij Veel" is what I've found so far, but I have no idea whether these are particularly "liked" shows or seen to be not so great (for the first, the scenes seemed a bit contrived, stilted to me, but maybe I'm wrong) While I couldn't piece together the meanings of many sentences, I found nevertheless that the sketches of these I heard actually helped me for hearing the rhythm and picking out words I did know.
Dank U heel! Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 OO AOL EMAIL ☎ 1~800~570:1233 Password Reset Contact Now ☎ AOL Tec*h CALL.
- 2 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 3 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 4 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 5 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 6 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 7 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 8 Paris November 2017
- 9 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 10 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 Ravenna and Mexico City...who knew?
- 13 Christmas day lunch in prague
- 14 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Transportation in Brittany
- 17 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 18 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 19 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 20 Trains - website?
- 21 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 22 First time in Normandy & Brittany
- 23 Trenitalia - lost and found
- 24 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 25 Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome