Search

Pope's health

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Fairhope

Pope's health

There are news pieces on the wire that the "pope's health is seriously weakened"
What is Italy like after the death of a pope and during the selection of a new one?

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Pope's health has been a matter of media speculation for several years. After his trip to the Czech Republic last year, he was fatigued to the point that the media did not expect him to live more than a month. A year later, he was well well enough to make a pilgrimage to Lourdes. And so now he is fatigued again. It is useless to speculate on when the Pope's journey on earth will be completed. I don't believe anyone should alter their plans to visit Rome and the Vatican in the upcoming months due to the possibility that the Pope may die. As for what Italy is like after a Pope's death, there should be no change other than increased media coverage of the conclave. At the Vatican, the Basilica, Museums and Scavi will be closed and large crowds will stand in the Piazza praying and awaiting the white smoke from the Sistine's chimney.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Did you read Angels and Demons?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Speculation about the Pope's health has been going on for years. He is a very elderly gentleman and, given his position, there is a lot of politics going on about his successor.

Any of us can live for years or die tomorrow.

And more no one can say.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 10:31 PM

He said something about 'the end of his pilgrimage' when in Lourdes; there's speculation about what he meant by that.
The Vatican would certainly be affected, but the rest of Rome will be business a usual I suspect. Do read Angels and Demons!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:02 AM

OMG~I saw footage of him at Lourdes. I hoped the glass of water he was offered came right from the grotto.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Realistically, there's "speculation" about everything the Pope says, does, and the way he "looks"..nothing new, especially for a pontiff with qwell-known medical difficulties.

After his inevitable death there will be a swirl of activity in Vatican City, mainly centered around St. Peter's and created by the swarm of journalists who appear waiting for the white smoke.

If you are going to make travel plans around the possible demise I'd be cautious...he could hang on for years.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Of course, there is no way to plan around such an event as the possible timing of his death, but if--and I have no reason to doubt what Grinisa says--"At the Vatican, the Basilica, Museums and Scavi will be closed", it would be really a shame to go to Rome w/o being able to see the above sights. The Vatican museums and the Sistine chapel were breathtaking and I cannot fathom what a loss it would be not to see them.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 07:53 AM

While I agree with socialworker that it would be a shame to miss the Vatican, I wouldn't cancel a trip to Rome if the Pope died right before I was planning to leave. Rome offers so much to do and see, even without the Vatican, and even if one can't see the Vatican Museums and Basilica during a conclave, the rare opportunity to be in the Piazza, watching, waiting and even praying for a new Pope to be named, would be worth the trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:23 AM

Are you only allowed one trip to Rome per lifetime? If it just so happens that the popes' passing affects your current trip, then you will still have plenty to see and do and if you care for the area, you can always go back when the new pope has been elected.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:39 AM
JN

To PatrickEssen: You must have missed the Papal decree memo recently restricting all practicing Catholics to one trip to Rome per lifetime. Only exception is if family members pass away before going, next of kin may inherit the extra trip.

Like many papal decrees, not all practicing Catholics are fully embracing this one.