Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pontresina Switzerland - Who's been there?

Jan 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning a 2-week trip to Switzerland for late August-early September. I'm thinking of staying in Pontresina for my base in the St. Moritz area. I will be traveling with a Swiss Rail pass and want to take the train across the Bernina pass to Tirano for a day trip while I'm there. Can anyone advise me on staying in Pontresina and what a good moderate-priced hotel would be?
Thanks,
Martha
Jan 15th, 2006, 02:31 AM

Pontresina is an excellent choice. You'll enjoy it.

What is moderately priced? I have stayed at Kochendörfer's Hotel Albris (www.albris.ch) and enjoyed it very much. Another of our fellows here stayed at Chesa Mulin and was very pleased. Both are - for Pontresina - moderately priced.

The railway station is a 10 minutes walk below the village. Most hotels, however, provide a shuttle bus and a public bus also runs frequently.

How many days will you have in Pontresina?

The most interesting portion of the Bernina Express is between Pontresina and Poschiavo (mountains and glaciers). Below Poschiavo there is still the lake with scenic views and a highlight for railway enthusiasts - the circle viaduct near Brusio. Tirano itself is not very charming IMO.

The Bernina Express ride down to Tirano is quite long, especially if you consider that you will take the same route back. I personally like to get off in Poschiavo and stroll through the charming small town, have an ice cream at the main square, visiting some churches, bone chapel, see the spanish quarter and maybe a museum. Yet better is to have a meal with pizzocheri neri and a simple red wine from the region (Valtellina).

Ingo
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Hi mjnbrown,

I'd like to second Ingo's opinion of Pontresina -- it is an excellent choice!

Though I've only spent a few hours there (while Ingo is a frequent visitor to the area), I can also say that Pontresina is a charming town! Sitting on a hill, it overlooks a beautiful, green valley; it is full of invitingly twisty streets, cobblestone streets, and typical stone Engadin buildings with colorful sgraffiti. There is a modern glass building in the center of town, but that doesn't detract from the overall charm of the town. What I liked most about it, though, is its location so close to both Bernina and Engadin valleys and a good spot for excursions on both. I also liked the veritible nest of hiking trails at the foot of the village next to the train station. I've thought that Pontresina would be a good choice for my own return to the area (or Sils . . .).

Good luck!

s
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the hotel info and confirmation that Pontresina would be a good base in this part of Switzerland. I plan on staying there 3 nights - the first 3 nights of my vacation, taking the train directly there from Zurich. Are the panoramic trains worth taking on the trip from Pontresina to Tirano, or does the regular train follow the same route, hence is OK?

Thanks again,
Martha
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I would take a regular train. First, you cannot open the windows of the Panoramic cars, second, the Express trains cost a surcharge if I am correct. Plus, the regular trains take the same route and run more frequently.

Another advantage is that in July and August the regular trains between St. Moritz and Poschiavo have also so called panoramic cars, but other than these on the Express trains, these have no roof. It's like a cabriolet ride