Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Sarlat to Paris, trying to keep it easy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Tomorrow will be 3 months out and I was looking into the train again from Brive to Paris on Fri. 9/21/12. This was our original plan.

Now it appears that the 9am train is eliminted after Aug. 31st and our choices are 5am(no thank you) and 3pm for a 4 hr. ride which wouldn't get us in to Paris until 7pm.

We are now looking into driving to Bordeaux and getting the TGV at noonish for a 3 hr. ride, arriving in Paris at 3pm---more reasonable IMO.

Bordeaux is a larger city so my question is----would it be easy enough to drive to Bordeaux and find the train station to return the car. We realize that it is a longer drive, but we don't mind that as long as it's relatively easy once we get into the city of Bordeaux to find the train station. Arriving in Paris at 3pm is more desireable then 7pm.

Any and all suggestions will be much appreciated.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done the drive to the train station in Bordeaux so many times I'm not sure I have a realistic sense of how easy or hard it is, but I'd say I'd allow plenty of time, as the area around the train station is congested, and what can really befuddle you is actually finding the place to leave the car (depending on which rental company - there's one that uses a multi-storey garage that completely throws me every time I have to go there).

Why not just go to Périgueux and take the regular train from there. It'll be the same amount of time en route from Sarlat to Paris overall, and you won't have such a long drive or need to deal with Bordeaux.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I looked at the Perigueux trains and it appears they all change in Bordeaux for Paris. One changes in Libourne----what about driving to Libourne and getting the train there. Would that be easier?

I hate to keep asking the same train questions but we've driven in many areas of France and know how it gets in the cities so we're just looking for the easiest way.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

BTW, we plan on renting the car from Kemwel.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Have picked up a rental car at the railway station in Bordeaux, not dropped one. But the area from there to the highway to Sarlat is very congested.

I have been to Perigeaux, though not rented or dropped a car there, and it is a pleasant place. I would expect the dropoff to be easier.

On weekends, car rental offices in Bordeaux have limited hours and/or long lunch breaks. I would expect it to be even more so in a smaller city. If you need them to be open to leave the car, be sure they will be. If they are not there, take copious photographs.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Well, some of the trains from Périgueux go through Limoges (where sometimes you just sit on the train for 10 minutes and sometimes you have to change), but perhaps none of those are the right day/time for you.

Libourne is indeed a bit easier to drive into than Bordeaux.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM

I just checked SNCF for September 21, and there's a 7:03 am train from Brive that gets you to Paris at 11:33. Would that work?
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

I did see an 11:30 train from Libourne, arriving Paris about 2:45 that might work.

Couldn't find the 7:03 from Brive, but that is a bit early as we have to drive from Sarlat to Brive.

We're rethinking the 3pm from Brive arriving Paris at 7pm. Not ideal but could work. We'll be out of our apt. at 10ish and could take our time & have lunch on the way to Brive. We know Paris well so there are no problems on that end.

This has been the hardest decision of the trip.

Air--booked
Toulouse hotel--booked for 2 nights
Sarlat apt.--booked for 1 wk.
Font de Gaume--booked
Paris hotel--booked for 4 nights
Car from Kemwel--looks easy, waiting until the train is booked

Train--#%&##@*% very frustrating but we'll get it done tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your input.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM

I think I would drive to Poitiers which is 3.5 hours from Sarlat as opposed to 2.5 to Bordeaux, didn't check exact dates but know there's a TGV that leaves Poitiers at 13:12 and gets into Paris Montparnasse in 90 minutes. You would need to check car drop off. Smallish town and station.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 12:16 AM

'Train--#%&##@*% very frustrating'

I agree. In fact people here are demonstrating against suppression of various train stops, particularly Souillac and Gourdon (between Brive and Cahors) They are at the Souillac market faithfully every Friday morning drumming up more support. Every now and then when they feel SNCF is really not listening they go back to their tactic of actually stopping the train for a 'symbolic' minute or two. Gets them in court, but a number of stops have been reinstated.

I think the train leaving Brive at 3 would be a good idea. Brive is a nice town to walk around - go into the centre and have lunch at CHez Francis http://www.chezfrancis.fr/encours/
A really interesting bistro with great food and wonderful atmosphere. Check out the signatures on the wall and the ceiling.

p.s. Did you check out the flights from Brive airport? There appears to be one at 11 a.m. http://www.aeroport-brive-vallee-dordogne.com/
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM
ira

Hi TP,

>...what about driving to Libourne and getting the train there. Would that be easier?<

That is what I was going to suggest.

The Europcar office is across the street and to the left of the train station plaza.

The TGV to Paris is only 2-3 cars.

Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow, I've been busy. I checked Poiters. I checked flying out of Brive--looks easy.
I checked Libourne--looks very easy, we were tempted to try it.

We finally decided on the 3pm train from Brive.

Thanks to all the help on Fodors, I was successful in booking our tickets on the SNCF site after several calls to Capitol One.

Whew! Now I can move on to the car and day to day itinerary.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:12 AM

TPAYT - I dont know if you have booked your train, but if you check the SNCF site , the 9 a.m. train now appears on 21 September. I was very surprised that they would cancel the train, as it is very popular. Leaves 9.03, arrives 13.18.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:14 AM

I meant to add that if you have booked and want to change, you can probably do it once you arrive in France, depending on the ticket you have bought. A normal ticket can be exchanged at any station in France.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Carlux---thanks so much for the update. We just might do that.