Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pompeii Virtual Walk (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pompeii-virtual-walk-1664567/)

smalltowngal Mar 10th, 2019 06:59 AM

Pompeii Virtual Walk

I found this yesterday on Youtube and binged watched for an hour and a half. It's really amazing! I feel like I'm there, and it may be the only way I WILL make it there. ha Did not realize the site was so large. I have Part 5 bookmarked for later today. (not sure how to just post a link and not the video part, sorry)

starrs Mar 10th, 2019 07:10 AM

Thanks! It may be the only way I get there too.
I skipped it on my last trip and not sure when I'll get back.

smalltowngal Mar 10th, 2019 07:21 AM

And there is no talking or music, he just walks. I told my aunt I was getting tired and needed a res,t but the guy wouldn't sit down anywhere. Also, the sun seemed to be low in the sky and I was afraid we wouldn't get out of there before it got dark! Part 4 includes tours of the houses i.e. House of the Faun and the Vetti House.

Florida1 Mar 10th, 2019 08:01 AM

Im definitely going to watch this! Thanks for posting, smalltowngal. We went to Pompeii a few years ago. Id always wanted to go, ever since I was very young and first learned about it. It was truly amazing and Id love to go back. I knew it was a huge site, but it still surprised me at how enormous it was. We spent an entire day there and Im not sure we saw half of it. I want to go back!!! In the meantime, Ill watch this. :)

smalltowngal Mar 10th, 2019 08:34 AM

The posted Youtube viewer isn't as nice as if you were to go online and find it, then you can go "full screen". I don't know how to post a link.

crefloors Mar 10th, 2019 09:09 AM

I went to Youtube and and opened all the postings, and now I have them bookmarked to watch later. If you open anything on Youtube, you have it in your "history" until you delete it. I have an account so don't know if it works for the "casual" viewer. Anyway, now I can go back when I have more time. Thanks for posting.

Moderator1 Mar 10th, 2019 09:47 AM

Moved to the Europe Forum

smalltowngal Mar 10th, 2019 10:02 AM

Sorry about that moderator. Thanks for moving it here.

Jean Mar 10th, 2019 11:15 AM

Well done, but I hope it doesn't give first-time visitors the impression that they can see Pompeii in a couple of hours. (Several streets/areas are covered multiple times.) The videos explore only a very small part of the excavation, and the videographer doesn't pause long anywhere to give time to think about what's missing (like roofs and other wood elements which would make interior spaces much darker, requiring lots of lamps everywhere), how much more dense the town would have appeared, how large buildings/spaces might have looked on a typical day, examine frescoes and mosaics, etc. It's nice that he shows it's possible to get away from the crowds, although from tourist clothing it's obviously not high season summer.

I enjoyed this video of "Pompei Then and Now."

I may be in the minority, but I miss the dogs that used to roam around, follow tourists, bask in the sun.... In the videos, I only saw one dog trotting across the Forum...

smalltowngal Mar 10th, 2019 12:08 PM

Well, I've read so much about Pompeii all my life and watched numerous documentaries and videos so I have an idea of what the videographer didn't pause to show me. He certainly had a sense of direction! I would get lost in a heartbeat.

After finishing my time there, I decided to tour the Colosseum for an hour with the same person. Wow, lots of people there. I found myself watching them more then paying attention to my surroundings. He managed to arrange some nice views.

Next, I'm on to the Forum. After I take a break and have supper.

Oh, and I didn't notice any restrooms in either Pompeii or The Colosseum. I'm assuming they have to be somewhere near at least?

crefloors Mar 10th, 2019 12:55 PM

Just FYI, you can make Youtube full page.

smalltowngal Mar 10th, 2019 02:01 PM

Yes, I've been watching "full screen".

The forum was the most difficult to imagine what it was like in those times. I saw the video on "The Forum then and Now", but it went rather quickly.

One time at a rummage sale I found what was surely a souvenir of a someone who visited Pompeii. On each page it shows a particular ruin and then there is a second page which is an overlay and when you place it over the first page, how it originally looked appears.

hiho322 Mar 10th, 2019 05:58 PM

Pompeii

If any of you want to actually see Pompeii (and Herculaneum), the best way is with a guide; otherwise, you may be wandering for hours and miss all the best parts. In the summer of 2017, we had an almost two week long vacation in Italy, and that tour was one of the top highlights of the trip. We found Lello of Lello & Company on tripadvisor, and he had incredible reviews, and was the #1 tour guide for these sites. He was absolutely amazing, smart and charming - and the tour wasn't outrageously expensive. I wrote a travelogue of that trip and you can find it here, if you're interested: https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...italy-1467675/ Of course, there's a lot more there than just Pompeii, but feel free to skim past what you're not interested in. Hope this helps!

Annie

Jean Mar 10th, 2019 08:22 PM

"... so I have an idea of what the videographer didn't pause to show me."

I mentioned the lack of pauses to suggest how much longer a person would probably want to spend looking at things. On our first visit, we spent an entire day there, from opening to closing, and still didn't see everything. For example, AFAIK, the videographer didn't even go to the amphitheater.

whitehall Mar 11th, 2019 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jean (Post 16885317)
I may be in the minority, but I miss the dogs that used to roam around, follow tourists, bask in the sun.... In the videos, I only saw one dog trotting across the Forum...

I am not unhappy about seeing fewer stray dogs. We once walked from the rail station in downtown Pompeii, a good distance from the Pompeii ruins, maybe a mile and a half. Dogs followed us from there to the rail station adjacent to the ruins. And then they just watched us on the platform while we waited. It was a little eerie, especially since stray dogs in southern Italy at that time were considered a nuisance or worse. A recent report estimated that there are close to one million stray dogs in Italy, most in the south. It was maybe 10 years ago, but some packs of wild dogs had attacked and mauled tourists in Sicily. On a more positive note, IKEA in Catania took in strays there this past winter. Most may be adorable but not all.

Jean Mar 11th, 2019 09:01 AM

The dogs we saw in Pompeii were very docile and obviously cared for. They weren't in pack mode, just a dog here and a dog there, more often asleep in the sun than moving around. The impression I got is that they found the ruins a safe place to live. No cars, no aggressive dogs or humans to bother them, free food.

bvlenci Mar 11th, 2019 09:40 AM

Oh, and I didn't notice any restrooms in either Pompeii or The Colosseum. I'm assuming they have to be somewhere near at least?
There are restrooms in both places.

sylvia3 Mar 13th, 2019 04:19 PM

Ttt, just to say I really enjoyed watching this (as the Colorado wind and snow blew today). Thanks for posting!