Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pompeii-too hot in August? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pompeii-too-hot-in-august-146377/)

kris Jul 17th, 2001 03:26 PM

Pompeii-too hot in August?

I'd like to take my 2 children aged 12 and 15 to visit Pompeii in the English school holidays -either 10 August or 19 October for a week. I think it might be too hot and crowded in August but what will it be like in October? I need to go cheaply. <BR> <BR>In August I have found a cheap package in Sorrento staying at the 4* Continental Hotel on a cliff top 500m from the centre -but it's a room with an 'interior view'. Has anyone stayed there? <BR> <BR>In October I can get a cheap flight and arrange my own accommodation. Any ideas for hotels etc? Any other ideas apart from Sorrento? It would be nice to stay at a proper beach for the children if it's still warm. <BR> <BR>How much does the train from Sorrento to Pompeii cost and how long does it take? How much does it cost to visit the site? Could we get there early enough to avoid the heat of the day in August? How far is the site from the station? Would it be better to go on an organised coach tour? Could we visit Vesuvius the same day? <BR> <BR>If we want to visit the museum in Naples, how long would that trip take from Sorrento? <BR> <BR>Where else could I easily visit with the children? I don't want to overload them... <BR> <BR>Anyone done this with children? Any rapid advice much appreciated - I have to book soon <BR> <BR>

wendy Jul 17th, 2001 04:33 PM

We went to Pomeii in early August last year. Got there about 10AM- it was definitely hot- but not unbearable- although New Yorkers are used to more heat then you probably are. Needed to walk around with cold water. Frozen bottles of water were sold right outside the gates. Don't remember the prices but it was not really expensive. <BR>We drove, so not much data for you about train, other than it was right outside of the main gate . There are 2 differnet stops, so check to make sure about the appropriate one. We spent about 2 - 3 hours there. It's a great morning. Any questions, email

SteveJames Jul 18th, 2001 02:32 AM

Hello Kris, <BR> <BR>Sorrento-Pompeii by train takes 30 mins. and costs about 3.000 LIRE. <BR>The station, Pompeii Scavi is close to the entrance. <BR>Admission to Pompeii is 16.000 LIRE this year, I think. <BR> <BR>There is a coach tour from Sorrento which combines Pompeii and Vesuvius. Let me know if you want details ... <BR> <BR>Sorrento-Naples by train takes about 65 minutes. <BR> <BR>Places to visit with children? Well, - I'm sure they'd enjoy any of the boat trips to the islands, - Capri, Ischia, or along the Amalfi coast. On Capri, the chairlift ride up Monte Solaro is fun, - a great place for a picnic! Marina Piccola on Capri is a nice little cove for a swim ... <BR>Generally the beaches in this area are pebbles rather than sand, I'm afraid. <BR> <BR>I'm sure others will give you some more ideas! Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>

Kavey Jul 18th, 2001 03:53 AM

Be aware that October is end of season as Sorrento is not generally a winter resort. <BR> <BR>I would try and check how much will be open. I think major sites such as Pompeii will be open but you might find, particularly in late October that many restaurants and bars have already closed for winter. <BR> <BR>There is some winter trade in the area, but not as much, most major tour operators (like us) don't operate their between end October and beginning May. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Linda Jul 18th, 2001 07:00 AM

Just came back from a school trip (27 teenagers)-it is completely safe to let the kids roam around the town center in Sorrento evenings after dinner.As far as beaches,most are rocky-fine for the kids,but most adults find them uncomfortable at first.Steer clear of the Hotel Villa Letizia in Sorrento-not a spot for teenagers-zero tolerance noise or chatter.Beaches at Paestum are simply wonderful.Feel free to e mail for further info.

Scott McDonald Jul 18th, 2001 07:12 AM

Kris: <BR> <BR>We did Pompeii last summer with three teenagers. We drove down from Rome, so I can't advise about the train, but there is a lot of information on here about that aspect. Search on Pompeii or trains. <BR> <BR>As for Pompeii, don't miss it if you're anywhere nearby. But be sure to take a couple of litres of water per person and you should all wear hats(against sun in August or rain in October). You can't buy water(or anything else) once you're inside the site, so get it at one of the concessions at the entrance or elsewhere before you get there. It's a fascinating place! <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Scott

kris Jul 28th, 2001 03:58 PM

Thanks everyone. We're going in August.