Pompeii, Herculaneum or Paestum

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 12:07 PM
Lori

Pompeii, Herculaneum or Paestum

Please give me some insight on these three stops. Are all three MUST-SEEs or can we get by with seeing only two of the three? I'm leaning towards Paestum and either Pompeii or Herculaneum. Thanks!

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 01:38 PM
Walter

Lori, I'm assuming you will be staying close-by (Naples, Sorrento etc). If so, no reason to only do 2 out of the 3. Pompeii and Herculaneum can be done together and Paestum as it's own daytrip. You can walk out of the gates of Pompeii and into Herculaneum in ~30-60min (2-5min walks, awaiting the train & ~18min train journey).
Pompeii is my favorite, it's a *complete* city that is maybe 2/3 open to public view. Herculaneum is like a *very* large city block. It's a section of Herculaneum that just happened to be found which could be excavated. *But* it is very well preserved and *really* gives you a feeling of going back in time as you walk thru the streets. Also because it's in a big hole in the ground with modern city buildings on 2 sides, it really shows you how deep these cities where buried after the eruption. You can't get that feeling in Pompeii, which looks like a ghost-town that has always been there, exposed. Paestum is a nice daytrip. But outside of the 3 temples and an excellent modern museum, the rest of the site is basically just a walk-thru for most people. If you are a history buff and you do your homework/research this site is very interesting. But if you just use a basic guidebook (Let's Go, Fodors, Frommers, etc) the site is just a walk-thru. But again, the 3 temples and museum make the site a worthwhile daytrip in itself. HTH Regards, Walter
p.s. I have posted Pompeii/Herculaneum and Paestum daytrips here that might be useful. If you can't bring them up in a "Text Search" e-mail me and I'll send them to you.