Pompeii from Rome - 1 day or 2?

Jun 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Pompeii from Rome - 1 day or 2?

My family (3) of us are traveling to Rome in December from Dec. 21 - 30. We'd like to take a couple of side trips and Pompeii is first on my list. How long does it take to get there via train and how much time should we give it? Can anyone recommend an historian/travel guide? We're super history buffs.
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I recommend this so much that I may end up ruining it. Oh well, here I go again. If you are a history buff, then consider renting a car, driving down the coast, through Anzio and on to Paestum. The Greek temples are amazing and very few tourist. Spend the night there, next morning go up to Pompei, about an hour drive. Arrive in the morning, you'll beat the tourist buses from Rome. Spend the day, then drive back to Rome.

You should also spend a half-day/day taking the local train from Rome to Ostia Antica (about 40 minutes away). Like Pompei, but in a beautiful setting, plus it is almost vacant. Take drinks and a picnic lunch.

dave
Jun 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Eurostar and Eurostar AV (Alto Velocita) takes about 1:30 from Rome Termini to Naples. 2 trains per hour, plus other slower trains.

From Naples, the Circumvesuvian trains take half an hour to get to Pompeii. Train every half an hour.

I say about 3 hours is minimum to see the highlights. You can easily spend 4 or more hours.
Jun 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM
ira

Hi jg,

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

It's a long daytrip.

If you can overnight in Naples, it would be better as you will be able to see Pompeii and the Archaeological Museum in Naples.

Jun 6th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Agree with the above. We did it as a day trip from Rome and it was a very loooooong day.
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:18 AM
MD

Italian trains have a "scheduled time" and an "actual time", both posted on the display in the station. We watched our actual time crank up to an hour and a half past the scheduled time, when we were going to Naples. Then the train sat on the track just outside Naples for half an hour.

At Naples, even the locals seemed to be debating whether the train we saw was going to Pompeii Scavi or not, and whether anyone was there to drive it.

The train stops about a minute's walk from the entrance.

So if you're not reasonably comfortable about using the local trains, that's why they have tour busses from Rome. IIRC, they were advertising leaving at about 7AM.

By the time we got there, from our 9AM (scheduled) Rome departure, it was after 1PM; we stayed til close. It's worth it. Yes.

Oh, and we stopped for dinner at a touristy outdoor pizza place by the exit; their restroom was the first tme I've seen public toilets without seats, just the bare bowl. Obviously easier to clean.

Unless you're the type that hires a guide, I suggest that you get a not too heavy book ahead of time and read a bit about it. Even in Rome you should be able to buy and English language book, probably cheaper than on site at the gift store. This will give yo some detail on what to look for.

All the good art has been taken into protective custody and most is on display at the museum in Naples. That's what we did - stay in Naples 3 nights, and also went to see Capri and look around the city. Watch out for the scooters! The typical number of riders per scooter was somewhere between 2 and 4.