Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pompeii Excavations Guide (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pompeii-excavations-guide-716875/)

kelkel Jun 28th, 2007 05:10 PM

Pompeii Excavations Guide

Can anybody recommend a good guide to the excavations? I have heard that the one that is given at the site is not the best. Thanks!

wondering Jun 28th, 2007 05:25 PM

Before you get into Pompeii proper there are lots of guidebooks for sale in the tourist stands. I bought a small but thorough paperback that had the overlay of what each major ruin looked like originally and then you pulled up to see what you were looking at now. I was with students andthey really liked it. (Actually so did I!)I bought this type of book for Rome (Forum, etc) as well. If you will be shopping ahead of time, they are easy to find in Rome.

kelkel Jun 28th, 2007 05:33 PM

Wondering:
Can you remember the name of the book as it sounds quite interesting?

wondering Jun 28th, 2007 05:41 PM

Give me a day to plow through the garage. I have at least four---one for the catacombes and one for Athens. (I taught ancient Civ in middle school and they were big, big hits) My guess is that they were from the same publisher, and since they were in English, you may be able to order them online ahead of time. Check the board tomorrow evening.

kelkel Jun 28th, 2007 05:57 PM

Bless you...you are so kind to do this for me. I truly appreciate it and I will check back tomorrow.

patriciaf Jun 28th, 2007 09:44 PM

kelkel and wondering,

I will check back as well. Sounds like an excellent book to have. I will be visting Pompeii in September.

Thanks in advance.

P

nogger Jun 29th, 2007 07:10 AM

You have heard right, the map provided is poor, street names on map but not on the actual streets, had to navigate by approximating ruins to pictures on map, take lots of water as most water points were inoperative when we went.

kelkel Jun 29th, 2007 07:53 AM

Thanks, Nogger. I will have my 7 and 9 year old with us and water was the first on my list. Did you visit Pompeii on your own or with a tour?

LAwoman Jun 29th, 2007 09:41 AM

The books with the overlays are also for sale at the gift store next to the excavations ticket booth, so you can buy one when you get there, too.

kelkel Jun 29th, 2007 01:59 PM

Thanks, LAWoman!

wondering Jun 29th, 2007 05:29 PM

still looking- not ready to give up yet...

kelkel Jun 29th, 2007 05:30 PM

Thanks, Wondering....I have been waiting for you!

kelkel Jun 30th, 2007 01:48 PM

Wondering...
I give you permission to stop looking.

TravMimi Jun 30th, 2007 01:59 PM

I've been with guides and without guides and in my opinion, it's much more fun wandering around on your own with a good guide book. I've heard some audio guides are good and ijourneys.com is getting good reviews.

Byrd Jun 30th, 2007 02:38 PM

kelkel,

I have the guidebook with the overlays, which is titled Pompeii Monuments Past and Present.

I purchased it at the excavation site.

We hired an official guide at the site. There were 10 of us, and we paid $10 each for the tour.

Our guide, Luigi, was personable as well as knowledgeable. We had lots of questions, which he answered with good humor.

Have a great trip.

Byrd

kelkel Jun 30th, 2007 02:49 PM

Thank you so much, Byrd!!
Kelkel

kybourbon Jun 30th, 2007 03:34 PM

The website for Pompeii is www2.pompeiisites.org

After clicking English, you can take a virtual tour. I found their free map quite useful. Pompeii has handheld audio guides you can rent and each site is numbered on the map. You just enter the number to hear the info. The map also includes suggested 2,4,6 hour diy tours by number. The diy tours are also on the website along with an aerial view.

wondering Jun 30th, 2007 03:55 PM

Have not given up (I retired with 64 boxes of materials), but am so glad there are other people on this forum! When you are least expecting it, I bet I will find it and post! btw: when do you go?

kelkel Jun 30th, 2007 05:33 PM

Wondering:
I leave for London this Tuesday and then onto Barcelona on the 7th for the Disney cruise.
Kelkel

nogger Jul 1st, 2007 09:13 AM

We visited on our own, but you can easily latch onto one of the many tours around the site.