Pompeii as day trip from Rome?

Jul 11th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Laura

Pompeii as day trip from Rome?

My husband and I (early 30s) are trying to cut down on the hotel hopping and are hoping to use Rome as our base of operations for Pompeii. Is it feasable to visit Pompeii as a day trip from Rome? Can anyone recommend a tour operator that we might use for such as day trip?

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:24 PM
maria

Years ago we did the this tour from Rome to Pompeii. It's an all day tour but it's definitevely doable. I don't recall the tour operator, but we arranged it through the hotel.

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Uncle Sam

It is defineitely doable from Rome.

I would suggest an early train, around 8 AM. Try and get an express to Naples, a local will take much longer. When you get to the trian staiton in Naples you transfer to a local train which makes a lot of stops before you reach Pompei. The trian station is right across the street from the entrance.

When you get inside, hire a guide from one of the locals and be certain to negotiate. When finished, just do the reverse.

We did it and it was no big deal. I think however, unless you just want to see Pompei, I'd reccommend Ostia Antica which is right outside Rome. Better ruins and much closer.

US

Jul 11th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Uncle Sam

Forgot to add, you do not need a tour operator, just do it yourself. Messing up is half the fun!

US

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Arnaldo

Absolutely, you will find various tours from Rome to Pompeii and even include Sorrento, Capri Island or Naples. It will be a whole day tour and cost could fluctuate between $50 & $60. Just ask your hotel concierge or grab a brochure from the front desk. It is wise to use Rome as a base to visit this interesting places, without the hassle of having to pack and unpack. We took a tour, but we later found out that you can do it by yourself. Just take an early train at "Termini" to Naples and another local train to Pompeii, no big deal. “Godere suo viaggio” (Enjoy your trip!)

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:41 PM
traveller

I think it is Gray line that has the bus tour. A very nice day trip included Sorrento and Pompeii. It was easy.

Jul 12th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Steve James

Hello Laura,

As everyone has said it's easy enough by train, but if you prefer a coach tour have a look at:

VASTOURS
www.adv.it/vastours/english.htm
CARRANI
www.romeguide.it/CARRANI/default.html
GREENLINE
www.romeguide.it/greenline/greenline_eng.htm
APPIAN
www.appianline.it/panorama.htm

Most charge about EURO 90.00

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:15 AM
m

You can definitely (and should) do a day trip to Pompeii. I think the train option is probably the best. We did it by car, but we already had the car from other traveling. I don't know much about the tours, but some make 'shopping' stops for cameos and such. If you consider a tour, check the schedule and the actual time spent in Pompeii. It's very easy to hook up with a tour on your own (either a group or private) at Pompeii. There are many posts here on taking the train from Rome to Pompeii. Try a text such on 'Rome Pompeii' for more information.

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:18 AM
m

I just tried some text searches. Also try "pompeii rome" (actually get different results than "rome pompeii") and also try "Pompeii train". There's lots of advise and info.

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Paul

Pompeii is great and very doable in a day. We did a tour with Alpine or something like that was disappointing in that they provided a tour of Naples and stop in Sorrento for an hour. Both stops were self serving as it was part of their pick up and drop off points. Naples dirty and an hour in Sorrento not worht it. It also include lunch at Pompeii which was over an hour and I would have rather spent time in the ruins. We only had 2 hours in the ruins and could have spent more.

Left at 7 am got back at 10: 30 PM. Too long day but if you cut out the non pompeii it is a wonderful day.

Jul 24th, 2002, 08:32 AM
topper

topping for Lynne

Jul 28th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Les

Can one go to the Blue Grotto to & from Rome in one day. Should one take a tour? I know the abilty to go there depends on the time of day and the tides.

Jul 29th, 2002, 01:02 PM
kristy

You can do the Blue grotto, Take train from Termini to Naples, then a bus to Ferry dock. Take ferry Capri and then the boat tour to Blue Grotto. Try to get train schedule from Rome to Naples and catch the EuroStar (much faster). At the ferry do not buy a round trip ticket, it is not any cheaper and this way you can buy a return ticket with what every company has the next boat leaving and not have to wait for the boat of the company you bought your round trip ticket with.