Notices

Pompei tours

Apr 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Pompei tours

What is a good tour to take to Pompeii from Praiano?
Apr 20th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Not sure if this is the advice you're looking for, but we were four people staying in Amalfi. We hired a driver (who showed up in a nice mini-van) to drive us to Rome via Pompeii. He waited for us, stayed with our luggage, while we toured Pompeii and then we continued to Rome. Once we arrived in Pompeii we were approached by numerous people at the entrance who wanted to take us on tours in English. We did this before at the Acropolis and at the Grand Palace in Bangkok and had a tour person all to ourselves and we moved at our own pace. This was very affordable and a lot less costly than signing up for a group tour/bus. Depending on how many of you are traveling together and what you want to spend, hiring a driver for the day is nice. I've heard that there are mozzarella farms in the area. Could be nice to add that into your day at Pompeii. I'm sure there are many other things you could do in addition to Pompeii if you had access to your own driver.
Apr 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! That is something we did not think of as we have a rental car for travelling between our destinations. How do you go about hiring a driver? That would be good to know.
Apr 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM

Here is the paragraph from my trip report in 2009. The cost for the day was 400 euros for the day. Divided by four people, it was definitely worth it.

Contact information for our driver: [email protected]

"Through a recommendation on this board, I think it was you, ekscrunchy, I hired Dionisio to drive us from Amalfi to Rome. I feel comfortable recommending him as a driver. With four of us he picked us up in what he termed a "space wagon." The van was large enough for seven people, so we had plenty of room to stretch out. The plan was to drive us to Pompeii, wait as we visited for three hours, and then drive us to our hotel in Rome. The cost was 400 euros, and I think that was a very fair price considering he had to drive all the way back from Rome."

Search this Thread