Pompei, Capri, Amalfi Coast

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Pompei, Capri, Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are planning a trip April 27 - May 8, 2008. We fly out of Atlanta and end up in Naples on the 28th. We are staying in Naples on the 28th and Rome on May 7 since we will be flying out of Rome for our return. My question is how to plan out the rest of our trip. I can't decide whether to go straight to Capri from Naples or go to Pompei for the day and then go to Capri. Also, are 3 nights enough for Capri or too many. From reading the other posts it sounds like Positano would probably be our best bet as a base for the remainder of the trip. True? Or should we stay in a couple of different towns? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:45 PM

Hi tampagirl, as someone who has enjoyed 10 nights on Capri imo no 3 nights on Capri is not to much. Italian friends in Italy have gone to Capri for at least a week from time to time. But it does depend on how much time you have for your trip and what your other interest are of course. Regarding Pompeii with staying in Naples..I would visit Pompeii before going to Capri only because if you are a bit tired from your visit to Pompeii you can relax while on Capri/Anacapri. By that I mean I would not leave for Capri the same day that I visited Pompeii.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
ira

Hi T,

You have 10 days.

I would do 3 nights in Naples. Yake one day to see Pompei.

Go to Positano for 3 nights.

Go to Capri for 2 nights.

Go to Rome via Naples.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM

I think ira's suggestion is good.
Though I was not a big fan of Naples, and would limit my time there.

Did you want to spend time in both Naples and Rome? If so, this is what I would do. We are not much into relaxing on vacation though - so like more packed itineraries.

28th - tour Naples on arrival & overnight Naples
29th - AM visit to Pompeii & overnight Naples
30 - Take ferry to Capri & overnight Capri
1 - tour capri ( I recommend both round-the-island boat ride or moped rental) & overnight capri
2 - take midday ferry to Positano & overnight Positano
3 - tour Positano & overnight Positano
4 - visit Ravello, Amalfi, etc & overnight Positano
5 - travel to Rome & overnight Rome
6- tour Rome & overnight Rome
7 - tour Rome & overnight Rome
8 - depart

If you are not interested in visiting Rome, I would add one night to Naples and one night to either Positano or Capri , depending on whether you want to do more touring of the coast (Positano) or relaxing (Capri).
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. These are great, helpful suggestions.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Hi tampagirl, considering what your interest are I like Steviegene's intineray. I think we always took the Hydrofoil from Naples to Capri versus a ferry. In any case have a beautiful time in Italy! Oh, just one thought. One time when in that area around the same time of the year there were rainstorms and electrical storms and so we could not get to Capri. So if that happens (it probably won't) do have a backup plan.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM

I like steviegene's itinerary too, having been to Positano and Capri this summer. We stayed two nights in Positano and loved it- - Hotel Poseidon. Day trip to Capri with a ride around the island ona traditional Caprese boat--so amazing. Enjoy.