Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pompei??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pompei-67632/)

Lindsay Apr 6th, 2000 10:39 PM

Pompei???

I will be in Rome on the 17th of this month until the 24th and am curious about a day trip to Pompei. Does anyone have any ideas about how much this would cost for 3 adults and how possible this would be? Any helpful hints would be much appreciated. Thank you.

karen Apr 7th, 2000 09:55 AM

Lindsay, if you do a search on this forum, you will find a message posted by Walter which gives very detailed directions on exactly how to get from Rome to Pompeii as a day trip. I haven't tried them out myself yet, but I plan to use them next year. Can't help you with cost.

Walter Apr 7th, 2000 12:55 PM

Hi Lindsay, I'll e-mail you my trip report that Karen mentioned, I assume it will be easier to print-out that way. And I also added a section from another post on this Forum (Train travel in Italy) in which I listed other options on buying train tickets in Rome besides at Termini. For 3 people on the Eurostar train (an IC train will be alittle cheaper but I don't have the fares for IC trains only ES) round-trip, and R/T on the CS commuter train between Naples and Pompeii and 3 admission tickets to Pompeii should cost *total* for 3 people in 2nd class on the ES train 291,600L ($144USD) and 1st class 429,600L ($213). There are bustours but you only spent ~2hrs in Pompeii and the price I believe is ~$80/90 per person. And it's a 12-14hr day because they might drive thru Naples to drop-off Capri bound passengers and drive to Sorrento to pick-up/drop-off passengers plus a couple of tourist factory outlet store stops. Outside the Pompeii entrance pick-up a guidebook that has a map of the sites in Pompeii or hire a local guide and a guidebook so you can wander around later. If you want a good guidebook before you leave get the "Blue Guide Southern Italy" and just cut-out the Pompeii (and Herculaneum?) section, this way you can read and research the site instead of walking in the site totally lost:))). HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Lindsay Apr 11th, 2000 12:27 PM

Thanks for the email, Walter. I was able to print it out easier. I can't wait to get there!!!!!!

joseph cameron Apr 12th, 2000 09:40 AM

On March 9, we did the RT in one day - Rome to Pompei and back. Cost was under $100 per person first class. Our train departed Rome at 9:10 a.m., we changed in Naples, and 20 minutes later were in Pompeii. Under three hours. Four hours is enough time there. Catch the 5 p.m. train back to Naples. You'll probably be back in Rome before 9 p.m. It is worth the effort. Get a guide at Pompei - we had "Frank" - about 70 years old and excellent. Tell him his clients from D.C. said hello. By the way, the restaurants immediately across from the entrance are not good. Suggest you grab lunch in town before starting the tour. There is also a snall place inside the site. Buy a map at the entry - it will help. Have fun. Joe

Dann Apr 17th, 2000 05:22 PM

Lindsay, get a guide at pompei. It cost <BR>about $75 for two hours, but well worth it. Without him you don't know what to <BR>look for or where.

Lindsay Apr 25th, 2000 05:13 AM

Thanks for your messages...we ended up taking a Green Line full day tour (about $100 per person) to Naples and Pompeii. I would recommend them to anyone, their guides are knowledgable and fun. You definately need a guide through Pompeii...I would have been lost without him! I just got back 12 hours ago...we had so much fun!