Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Poll: Where would you go next, out of these choices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! We are tentatively planning our next big Europe trip but are not sure where to go. So many places look amazing but I need direction.

Out of the following places, where would you go next? They are all at the top of our list.

Basque region of Spain & France
Tuscany
Rome
Dordogne (France)
Cote d’Azur (France)
Languedoc area of western France
Spain

As a reference, we’ve already been to: Paris, Venice, Loire Valley, Provence (Luberon/Bouche du Rhone/Alpilles area), Athens, and Santorini.

Looking forward to your opinions! Or feel free to add something if you think it would fit the bill. We love amazing food, wine, historical monuments/architecture, and gorgeous scenery for photography.

Thanks!
Anna
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM

I really liked Madrid a great deal. However, a gentleman I met on my trip to the airport said I should try to see Barcelona.

So of the choice you have there, I'm going to say Spain.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM

Rome.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All good (haven't been to the Cote d'Azur and not Spain since I was a child).

You could see Rome and Tuscany on the same trip, maybe adding in some Umbria too if you have the time. The Dordogne also took my breath away. I'd do one of those two trips. Have done 'em--want to go again.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
blh

Guess I'd have to pick the Dordogne since that's where we're headed in October. Have been reading about the Dordogne for ages - so we decided that was our pick!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Is Dordogne too similar to Loire Valley and/or Provence? We don't want to overdo it...
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM

We have been to all of the areas except the Dordogne so that would be on my list. Of the others, we loved the Basque region of Spain and France. The French villages in the foothills of the Pyrennees were so charming, and St-Jean de Luz a lovely small coastal city.We drove through the Pyrenees to the Languedoc region and then down to Costa Brava. We would return to both Languedoc and Costa Brava.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM

If you love history, and in particular prehistory, you will love the Dordogne. The cro magnon cave drawings are a must see. The Lascoux fascimile is wonderful. This replilcation was done by skilled artists using the primitive coloring technique--to see is to believe. There are other prehistoric sights and caves--Peche Merle near Cahors is wonderful, and it is the original cave. There are also many medieval castles and forts through out the area. I have not been there in ten years, so I can'tsay for sure that things are what they were then, but my husband and I had a great not crowded, not tourist vacation in that area in the Dordogne. I hope it is still pleasant to visit.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM

The Dordogne, hands down.

Not that I'm prejudiced or anything.

It is NOTHING like Provence or thte Loire Valley. It's another country altogether.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM

To narrow down your list, consider the following
- How much time do you have (some place deserve more times than others)
- What time of year will you be visiting (some places, obviously, will be hotter than others)
- Do you speak any foreign languages? Which? Does it bother or worry you to be in areas where less English is spoken?
- What is your preferred method of transportation, and what do you think you'll use on this trip? Train, bus, car?
- Where did you visit most recently (i.e., if you went to Italy last time, go to France this time)
- Of the places you've visited, which did you enjoy the most, and why? Do you appreciate any particular historical period or architecture more than others?

Re your specific question on the Dordogne, Provence and the Loire Valley, I don't think they're alike AT ALL (others may differ).

Loire Valley - Pretty but not spectacular, good food, chateaux that are generally from later time periods, big showplaces, not fortresses. Probably more upscale places to stay here, though you can find them everywhere, really.

Provence - A definite southern ambiance, very good food, especially if you like a more Mediterranean-influenced cuisine. Relics of Roman times that you won't see the other two places. Beautiful, in a sun-drenched, dryer southern way.

Dordogne - My favorite place of the 3 (Loire Valley is my least favorite). Lots of castles, older, more defensive fortresses. Absolutely gorgeous scenary. Prehistoric painted caves that are just about unique. Fantastic good, especially if you like foie gras.

Ok, I'm a bit biased, but all of these places are great. As are all of the others you list (though I'm not so thrilled about the Cote d'Azur).

If you want to visit a less-touristy place that has fewer American visitors, consider the Basque region or the Languedoc.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM

Rome
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM

Rome!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM

No contest, First choice is the Dordogne region, as pointed out, is nothing like Loire Valley.

Second choice , Cote D'Azur, but I would research and choose some smaller lesser known cities/towns to visit,, Google the town of Cassis, now, doesn't that look stunning!! I would not go in winter though, I like sun and sand a bit, so June through Oct..

You didn't mention when you are going, but I would not go to Rome again in either July or August, which, I have done twice before( I had no choice of timing) . Hot, crowded, dirty and food is yucky( look the pizza is so so, and pasta is just pasta, not my favorite) . Sites are AMAZING though , history everywhere, so I would choose Rome next only if not in summer months.
So Rome is a conditional third choice.

My last choice ( as in , where I would not be interested in at all ) would be Spain,, and I have no reason for that, never been, and just have no interest. It may be very nice.

I also would not go to any of those places unless I first had a least a week in my favortie city in the world, Paris,, no one is ever finished with Paris, and you can go there anytime of the year and its wonderful!
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM

Basque region of Spain & France

It is so beautiful. It is so delicious. It is where I would live if I didn't live in Italy, which gets twice as much sun.

Amazing food. Gorgeous scenery.

I find the Cote d'Azur a fashionista bore, the Langue d'oc left me indifferent, especially foodwise, Rome is tough to get around and expensive. Tuscany is a big place. I seem to like the parts most people don't go to and have yet to work up the nerve (or the interest) to go to many of the parts most people do. I think there is much better food elsewhere (like Emila-Romagna) with plenty of fantastic sights.

I think I might enjoy Dordogne ( after dinner in San Sebastian).

By the way, the Basque region of France is nowhere near as interesting as the Basque region of Spain, although it has pretty areas.

If you're looking for historic monuments, I don't think the Basque country fits the bill. I don't know. I didn't look. I live in Italy. I trip over a fantastic architecture every time I run an errand, so it wasn't high on my list in Pais Vasco.

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:00 PM

#1-Rome
#2-Rome
#3-Rome
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:10 AM

Well out of your list I'd say Spain.

But of course you need to keep within what's deemed "acceptable" and "understandable" round the dinner table at home. It you weren't then you'd be thinking Croatia, Slovenia, and "Eastern Europe".

I'm actually quite happy that you're sticking to the tried and tested, and hope you have a great time.

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
ira

Hi A,

1. Dordogne (France)

2. Tuscany

3. Rome

I don't think that you would be disappointed by any of your choices.

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:36 AM

Basque region of Spain & France: Not a spectacular region, some very beautiful beaches (Donostia, Biarritz, Cote d'Argent); otherwise not many attractions. It is a good region for a beach vacation.

Tuscany: Many renaissance towns and cities, archeological sites (Etruscan ), full of museums and art, mediterranean lifestyle (fattorias, olive oil, wine). A number one destination for a history&culture trip.

Rome: Also tons of history&art. A typical destination for a city trip.

Dordogne (France): Pretty landscape (a river valley), medieval towns, truffles&foie gras. A destination for savoir vivre.

Cote d’Azur (France): Spectacular scenery (especially the Cote de l'Esterel), picturesque mountain villages, an incredible array of modern art, some Roman ruins, some spectacular beaches. A destination which combines everything: landscape, beach, city, art, culture.

Languedoc area of western France: Wide sandy beaches (nothing special), in the hinterland some historic towns. Primarily a destination for a beach vacation.

Spain: A huge country with many different regions. Andalucia has spectacular history and architecture (but avoid the summer). Barcelona/Costa Brava has scenery, beaches, art, culture, history (comparable to Cote d'Azur). Madrid has history, art, culture.

Combinations are possible and recommendable, e.g. Rome and Tuscany or Tuscany and Cote d'Azur, or Barcelona/Costa Brava/Languedoc.

My personal favourite would be the Cote d'Azur - although heavily underrated by many Fodorites (have never understood why).
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'd have to know how long you'd have, when you're going and what you're looking to get out of the trip (sightseeing, relaxation, museums, etc.)

Given where you've already been though, I'd recommend Spain for a real contrast (I did Madrid, Barcelona, Seville in 9 days on a quickie trip and really thought it was quite different from where I'd been) but my heart lies in Tuscany and Rome, both of which I think are quite different from your Italy experience to date (just Venice).
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 05:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I second just about everything Bozama said so well about Rome.

Based on what I'm reading here, I vote for Dordogne. I've never been, but it sounds wonderful.

gruezi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -