Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

POLL: Where do you go to book your airline fares?

Sep 22nd, 2002, 02:47 AM
Maryann

Where do you go to get the lowest fare possible?
I always try to use travelocity or the airline's website.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Maira

Wish there was an easy answer but the truth is it varies. I have found great deals at cheaptickets.com, travelocity.com, priceline, and directly in the airlines websites. It is getting cut-throat out there with many websites enticing you with offers they can't delivered (no seats, no dates available, etc... case in point continental.com). Two years ago, I had my choice of options to fly to Rome in Nov for $425 (connecting in Philladelphia). This year I am paying $600 and considered myself lucky.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Vicky

I looked on Expedia, Orbitz, Alaska Airlines and AOL's travel site for fare to Seattle from Palm Springs. The fares quoted were $319, $302 and more. The AOL site had the fare at $174. All on the same flight. Needless to say I grabbed the $174.00

Sep 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
kim

I go to my yahoo and have a list of places I'd like to go on the best fares section (powered by travelocity I think) and it gives the lowest price available. If I see a fare that's good I go directly to the airline site to purchase the tickets. I don't quite trust going thru a second party for plane tickets. For a hotel I usually go thru orbitz or if domestic quikbook.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:32 AM
sandra

It depends on where we are going.
I always search all major travel sites, Expedia, Orbitz,Cheap Tickets.com, etc and the airlines own sites. This is my method for Europe, for the USA I add Priceline.com and when we are going to India we use an Indian/India Only Travel agency.

What some poele don;t realize is that ethnic travel agencies also offer deep disocounts on US/Europe fares as they need to fill the seats on that route as it is much easier to fill the Europe/India part. These flights are on the same airlines Luftansa,British Airways, Delta etc.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:32 AM
Sue

In the end, I've always done best on airline's website.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
lori

i check around too -- the last couple times i've gone to europe, the best fares have been through DER, which you have to book through a travel agent, so i have my travel agent book thru them -- she takes care of hotels, too, altho i usually pick out a few to discuss with her before we book. someday i'll get lucky and be able to get a deep-discounted airline fare for dates i can use, but so far -- no such luck.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
lynlor

Because we always want to upgrade to business class, we call the airline direct. We might not get the very best price this way, but we are able to upgrade using ff miles.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:36 AM
Mel P

It varies from trip to trip, I usually check all the major booking engines (Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia) and some discount sites (Cheap Tickets, One Travel) and also Hotwire. Then I make note of the cheapest fares/best itineraries and go to those airline sites, usually find the same fare or lower, and book through there. Sometimes, depending on itinerary, I also add looking at some other airline sites like JetBlue or Aer Lingus that don't always show the right way (or at all) on the booking engines. Sometimes after looking at everything and having flights in mind, I *call* the airline direct, this has netted me even a lower fare a couple of times. Although I always look, the only time I have not booked directly through the airline (save for Priceline) was once with Cheap Tickets, although I find Cheap Tickets doesn't have the deals anymore that they once had.

Haven't had the chance to use Priceline much for airfare as I haven't had the time flexibility, but the couple of times that I have they have beaten the lowest fare significantly, 50-70% off, with good routings. Probably will use them again though in February for a quickie to Cleveland really solely to go to the Rock 'n ROll Hall of Fame, unless American has a good sale and I can get the miles. Have to explore all the options within the circumstances of your trip.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:36 PM
Bill Fleites

I shop around everywhere on the net, but I stay away from Priceline because I don't like to buy things even at a low price not knowing the exact details of what I'm buying. On my first trips to Europe I got the best deals at TISS, Expedia, and Travelocity. However, on my last two trips I've gotten better deals directly from the airlines.