Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Political Situation - Hostility to tourists?
Notices

Political Situation - Hostility to tourists?

Sep 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
AMV
Original Poster

Political Situation - Hostility to tourists?

Hello. Have been following in the news the recent escalating antagonism between Turkey and Israel. Do you think this is a cause for concern for all tourists in terms of hostility to visitors, especially from US?
Sep 7th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Do you think this is a cause for concern for all tourists in terms of hostility to visitors, especially from US?

Probably not. There is a distinction to be made between gov't policies and attitudes and the local population's regard of visitors.
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:44 AM

There will definitely be nothing of the sort as far as i think as we have felt at two airports a few days ago where i and my wife had to go through totally unnecessary machine and hand checks because of our Turkish passports as well as the ugly shouting of a security person at MSY looking at my passport and saying, "where is your passport?" three times.

Neither will you see hate and revenge headlines everyday in the Turkish newspapers about the US, Israel, christianity or Judaism, as we have been seeing about 9-11 in a number of American papers in the United States.

Should probably also be reminded of the Alamo and Pearl harbor also and as frequently?
Sep 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM

otherchelebi,

welcome to America.

Search this Thread