Guide for ljubljana

Old Aug 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guide for ljubljana

I have been doing my research for a possible trip to Slovenia in 2012.
I am sure that I read a post in Fodors about a private guide in Ljubljana who
will not only serve as a guide there, but also will arrange a day trip
to the Julian Alps. Now I cannot locate the post. Does anyone have any information
that would be helpful?

Pat
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 05:59 PM

I don't recall the post you are talking about. But Ljubljana is pretty small and very walkable - I'm not sure why a guide would be needed there. There are daily walking tours of the city to be had simply by showing up at the City Hall TI; these tours include the castle. Otherwise, much of the fun of Ljubljana is just strolling around on your own.

I'll be driving myself through the Julian Alps in a couple of weeks. If I find out any info on guided tours while I'm there I'll let you know.

You might post your inquiry on the Trip Advisor Slovenia forum as well if you still think you want a guide there...
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Andrew. I am actually interested in a trip to the
Alps with a guide who could do the driving. I was thinking of a long day trip. I don't know why I did not dp a print out
at the time that I saw the reference-Murphy's Law, I guess.

Pat
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 06:15 PM

Rok Puppis from Movis Tours is your man!
http://www.private-tours.info/category/home/
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kodmania. This is just what I am looking for. The trip to the Julian Alps looks great.

Pat
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM

No worries! Have a great time in the Alps!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM

Andrew, I also plan to drive through the Alps when in Slovenia next July. Where/how to you plan to rent your car? As of now I plan to spend 2 or 3 nights in Ljubljana, rent the car there (I hope) and then spend several nights in Bled (probably) and do the driving trips from there. Are there other parts of Slovenia that you would recommend spending time in? Thanks, Jim
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Jim, I'll be able to answer your questions better in a couple of weeks; I leave for my trip tomorrow (Monday)! I have only been to Ljubljana before (lovely city). This time I'm starting in Austria and working my way down to Maribor, day tripping to Ptuj, training to Ljubljana (perhaps a stop in Celje - train goes through anyway), pick up the car (rented directly with Sixt) then to Lake Bled, up through the Julian Alps and down into the Soca Valley, stop in Kobarid, then down to Piran/Kopper (drop the car) and then over to Italy via Trieste.

I rented a car in Croatia in 2009 with Sixt but I used Auto Europe in that case; this time Sixt themselves had the best rate I could find. Sixt was OK last time, car was a bit smokey inside and somewhat worn but worked fine - I don't need the frills. Do expect to pay extra for a car if you want an automatic transmission vs. manual for the Alps. I'm renting a manual this time and just going to deal with it; I drove a stick shift for years so should be fine myself.

I've been using Rick Steves Croatia/Slovenia book as my primary guidebook and also Bradt's Slovenia guide by Robin & Jenny McKelvie (edition 2 - a bit dated, it was published a few years back).