Researching the Italian leg of our next (2016 ) European adventure, we have heard a number of recommendations - from sources other than Fodors - for visiting Polignano a Mare near Bari in Italy's Puglia region.
These recommendations have also included a "don't miss" dining experience at the unique Ristorante Grotta Palazzese.
Although I have yet to see a less than positive view on visiting Polignano, the opposite is true for visiting the restaurant. I don't think I have ever before read so many polar opposite views for dining at a restaurant.
On the one hand, "Fantastic service; beautifully presented fresh food and, though expensive, great value for money". Versus, "Do not waste your money! The service is outright rude; the food is stale and ordinary and it is the worst-valued restaurant in Italy!"
Apparently they also impose a mandatory minimum order of 3 courses per diner!
We are planning to stay 4 nights in the Polignano a Mare town (Casa Dorsi B&B) and were hoping for some feedback from the well-travelled fodorites out there on:
• The town itself
• The Casa Dorsi B&B accommodation
• and finally whether the Grotta Palazzese restaurant is worth the trouble.
Thank you in advance and regards, Steve
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 2 Scotland ideas
- 3 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 4 land vs river cruise
- 5 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 6 The World's Greatest Churches
- 7 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 8 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 9 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 10 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 11 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 12 Malaga Christmas lights
- 13 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 14 Trans Siberian Train
- 15 Tips for first trip to UK
- 16 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 17 London vacation rental agency
- 18 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 19 South of France
- 20 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 21 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 22 My France Vacation
- 23 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 24 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 25 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid