Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Pointers for a family break in Rome - Traiano Hotel OK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/pointers-for-a-family-break-in-rome-traiano-hotel-ok-92328/)

natalie Nov 1st, 2000 02:48 PM

Pointers for a family break in Rome - Traiano Hotel OK?

I would love to hear from you on staying in Rome (– and from reading the other notes here, I see that the Portoghesi is recommended, so I shall look that one up.) In the meantime I have what seems to be an excellent offer from the Hotel Triaino (4*); L.300, 000 per night for a quad room staying for a w/e in November. I have the website, but I cannot find it in any guidebook for an independent view. <BR>Has anyone any knowledge of this hotel please? <BR>And secondly, is it easy/safe to travel by train to the city from the airport – I have 2 young children? Or is a taxi the better option? <BR>Many thanks. <BR>

ricahrd j vicek Nov 1st, 2000 05:00 PM

Good evening, Natalie <BR>Hasve not stayed at either hotel but if <BR>you want their locations, will reply. <BR>Going from Fumicino to your hotel in <BR>Rome would suggest taking a taxi, with <BR>two smallchildren and luggage could be <BR>quite a hassle. A couple of notes: <BR>Do not accept any offers from individuals within the terminal for <BR>transportation to Rome. Take only <BR>authorized taxis (yellow and white <BR>taxies with meters. Get taxi at <BR>taxi stand and agree to price before <BR>getting into the taxi, should be approx. <BR>meter fare plus about 14,000ITL plus <BR>usual 10% tip. This is my suggestion <BR>for your entry into Rome. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

natalie Nov 1st, 2000 10:57 PM

Thanks Richard. The location is near the Roman Forum. Is this a nice area to be in for walking with children - day and night time? I'll take your advice and not take the train. The hotel can arrrange transport for L90,000 - is this reasonable? Good to hear from you.

Bjorn Alvik Nov 3rd, 2000 12:13 AM

http://www.romeguide.it/files/hotelin.htm <BR> <BR>Hi, Natalie. <BR>On the avbove web-adress you'll find your hotel by clicking "four stars" to get to the list where your hotel is described. Most hotels also have a map. <BR>My immediate thought was that a hotel close to the Forum would be perfect with kids. However, your hotel seems to be in a traffic-crowded place north of the Forum, and not south or south-east more close to the Palatine/Circus Massimo. <BR>The suggestion on Portoghese i think is very good. In that area you will be much closer (really in walking distance) to all main sights, and much of the area is turned into pedestrian streets, meaning very moderate traffic. Rome is airpolluted, though. <BR>I just returned from a 5 day stay with my company. We tried to get Portoghese, but it was occupied. We stayed in the area, though, at Cardinal, and had a marvellous time, with no need for any transport. <BR>I fully agree on taking a taxi, but the low price that was mentioned seem very unrealistic to me. When we arrived, we had to pay around 140.000, and that certainly was too much. When we departed, four of us used a Limo-service that was ordered from the hotel. The driver was good english spoken, and the price was around 110.000. A very comfortable and nice ride. <BR>Have fun in Rome. Bringing children should not be a problem. Others have commented on that on this page some weeks ago, in september I think. <BR>Ciao <BR>Bjorn, Norway

natalie Nov 4th, 2000 01:11 AM

Dear Bjorn <BR>Thank you, both for your recommendation –unfortunately the Portoghesi is full – and for comments on the area around the Forum. I’ll just have to live with the traffic (!), as I have now taken the Traiano offer up – it was too good to miss - as 3 star hotels were offering the same, and sometimes higher, rates. <BR>But I have another question if you have the time, have you ever booked using your credit card details in an email? I feel vulnerable, but may be it is safe? Thanks. <BR>

Bjorn Alvik Nov 4th, 2000 01:36 AM

Hi, Natalie. <BR>To be honest I do not remember wether I have submitted credit card details by mail or not. Propably not. I may have communicated it directly by phone, followed up by a fax with a copy of the card or just the card no /exp date and signature. I think fax is good. Let the hotel fax you a confirmation, and refax if with your number. Then you have a written confirmation when you arrive. <BR>I never have met any problems with forwarding credit card details, but I wouldn't submit them to anyone. Stared hotels, though, should be very safe. And they do not charge it until you leave. If you do not show up, you will be charged for one night, though, but normally you are free to cancel without costs up to two or one week before arrival. <BR>Ciao <BR>Ha det <BR>Bjorn

natalie Nov 4th, 2000 01:07 PM

Hi Bjorn;This information is so useful – thank you. I think you are right, with a 4 star hotel, I really have nothing to fear, but I am not so confident about my emails being intercepted, so I’ll telephone the details instead! (I do not have a fax). <BR>In case you are interested, the web site I found useful in order to contact loads of hotels direct is http://www.travel.it/roma/ourhotel.html It also lists restaurants. <BR> <BR>Dear Richard and Bjorn; This is the end of my search. The hotel is booked, car arranged to pick us up, and I have decided on how to give my credit card details to secure the booking. Thanks to your input, it has all gone smoothly, and I am grateful to you both. May I take this opportunity to wish you both your own “happy holidays”. <BR>Kind regards, Natalie <BR>

Bjorn Alvik Nov 5th, 2000 10:44 PM

Have e nice stay in Rome, Natalie. <BR>After all, the traffic very well might turn up to be no problem. <BR>I wish you good weather, as well. <BR>Bye

richardab Nov 6th, 2000 08:29 PM

Have you tried the Hotel Due Torri? The location is perfect and the staff is great. I have some pics and info on it on my websight. <BR> <BR>Its not completely finished but the Rome path is ready&gt; <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>Follow the path Enter&gt;Fly&gt;Europe&gt;Rome