Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Poderi di Miscianello or Villa la Collina or Castello di Fonterutoli

Notices

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:10 AM
joe

Hello everyone. My wife and I are planning our first trip to Italy in October and have narrowed down our 3 night stay in Tuscany to one of three places. We have searched this forum extensively and found some great advice on websites for searching out agritourisms. We have gone through them all, and based on our price range and location, have come up with either:
the castle Villa la Collina or
the agritourism Poderi di Miscianello or
the castle Castello di Fonterutoli.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has actually stayed at any of these places to help us decide at which one to stay.

Thank you very much, and pleasant travels.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:25 PM
me

ttt

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:21 AM
erica

I don't know about the 'castle' at Fonterutoli (do you have a link?), but we stayed a week in a vacation rental last spring there. It is a charming hamlet with about 60 people. I'm sure you know of the osteria, chapel,gardens, vineyards (do a tasting), etc. The location is terrific, right on the 222 and easy to travel in all directions and Castellina in Chianti is just 5k north.

There is a well-marked walk that starts right across the street with several Etruscan graves and an abandoned house from the 1400s.

I intend to return so Fonterutoli gets my vote. If you have links to the other places, I'd love to see 'em.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:00 AM
joe

Thanks for replying Erica.

The Fonterutoli homepage is www.fonterutoli.com . You have to move your cursor to the right and left of the Mazzei family crest on the web page to get to the sub-pages (the links didn't appear on my screen until the cursor hovered over the general area).

For the Villa La Collina, the only website I found was through tuscany.net ==> http://www.tuscany.net/accommod/castles.htm

For Poderi di Miscianello, the web address is www.miscianello.it

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:46 AM
erica

Sorry Joe, I still cannot find the castle. Is it a room or apt? I went to Stagionidelchianti (whom I booked through); is it one of those places? Collina looks very nice, but IMO too close to Poggibonsi which we call the armpit (because we bombed it, much is very 50s looking and it is tricky to navigate)of Tuscany. They are all close to Siena and San Gim where you will definately want to visit. Miscianello really didn't have enough pix to comment.

It is a good idea to pay in lire - we only have 5 months left to do so and it is a huge savings. Is there a significant price diff between the 3?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
joe

Hello again Erica. I believe it is a room within the castle. A more specific address is:
http://www.fonterutoli.com/en/tenuta.html
All of the places we are looking at are in the L180,000 to L240,000 range.

We're not concerned about being close to Poggiobonsi because we won't be going there. We want to do a one day trip to San Gim. and Siena, and another day trip to Pisa and Lucca. Then it's off to Rome for 3 nights at the Residenza San Pantaleo, near the Piazza Navona, for L180,000 incl. breakfast.

Hope this helps.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:42 AM
erica

Still don't see anything about the rooms. Weird. So, what are you thinking? It's just that you'll have to drive through Poggibonsi coming and going. Pisa (this was a nice surprise)and Lucca are fab - get an early start that day.